Installed Bob's Oil Separator today

Gabed1972

Established Member
I finally got a chance to do the install today. It was much easier than I thought. great service and support from Bob's. Steve responded quickly to the few questions I had on the install. I am not a very handy guy and I think it looks like a professional install :pepper:

Thanks to all you guys that posted threads on how to do the install and posted photos. The tip about using boiling water to remove the PVC valve fittings was an important tip and something that Bob's might want to update in their directions....

Here is a picture of how it came out...

image_zps13c4f31c.jpg

Myfast70

Established Member
Install looks great! You may want to try and smooth out the transition from the top of the can to the blower though (just after the 90* AN fitting). It has a kink in it and may collapse under high vacuum.

Gabed1972

Established Member
Install looks great! You may want to try and smooth out the transition from the top of the can to the blower though (just after the 90* AN fitting). It has a kink in it and may collapse under high vacuum.

Thanks for the heads up. No matter how much I fooled around with it I couldn't get that small kink out.

Any suggestions on how to smooth it out? Do you think if I trim a little more hose off it will reduce the angle and take out the kink?

If so any idea where I can get another shrink wrap hose clamp?

I appreciate any suggestions from you or anyone else on the forum.

Last edited:

Myfast70

Established Member
That's one of the reasons I made my own custom mount for the can and put it on the firewall instead. I think making the hose shorter may make it worse. I would see if you could locate a 120° fitting instead of the 90°, that should help. The heat shrink hose clamps can usually be found at a Carquest or Jeg's & Summit racing. Not sure what Carquest calls them but they're usually called Gator Grip clamps. I've used them for years with great luck but they are one use only. At least they're cheap in price!

If you were to use the 120° fitting you could do it without having to remove the hose from the blower.

Here's how I installed mine.

Catchcan2_zpsecd3caa0.jpg

Catchcan1_zpsb45ecb64.jpg

Last edited:

OaktownACE

Established Member
Funny, I installed mine last night

Would have been super easy were it not for my OCD and losing a piece of the trimmed hose on the pan which was a bear to find.

OaktownACE

Established Member
Well...

Any photos? Any kink in hose?

Hopefully these show up. No kinks,but I'm not sure I shrunk the clamps enough. Looks pretty good and the car still runs so I didn't screw it up too badly!

image_zpsd1ba91c7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zps91b42411.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsecb65978.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zps61d35789.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zps619fac79.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

railroad

Established Member
Both applications look super. I guess it will be which is easiest to drain. I have to get off my duff and get one installed.

Bytor

Established Member
Yeah, such a nice look. I finally ordered one myself. Thanks for the pics!

raustin0017

Established Member
ACE...pics look like you should apply more heat to the shrink wrap....IMHO. When I finished mine it was 'tight' all around the hose with zero gap. BTW...Your oil filler cap is upside down. Unless your standing on the drivers side and then it is okay.

Hopefully these show up. No kinks,but I'm not sure I shrunk the clamps enough. Looks pretty good and the car still runs so I didn't screw it up too badly!

image_zpsd1ba91c7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zps91b42411.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsecb65978.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zps61d35789.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zps619fac79.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

OaktownACE

Established Member
Thanks

ACE...pics look like you should apply more heat to the shrink wrap....IMHO. When I finished mine it was 'tight' all around the hose with zero gap. BTW...Your oil filler cap is upside down. Unless your standing on the drivers side and then it is okay.

That's funny on the oil cap, I hadn't noticed.

I will try a little more heat. I know the heat clamps were changed after there were complaints of the being too tight before being shrunk so obviously they will shrink up tighter. These shrunk a lot but I was a little afraid to put too much heat on it to hurt the fitting and tube underneath. I've never used a heat shrink clamp before so I was a little hesitant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread