Installed boost gauge, got some ?'s

1luckysob

Established Member
I just bought my Terminator a couple of weeks ago. Mods are in sig. I was told by my buddy (fellow Cobra owner) that I should be running about
13-14 psi with my mods. Dont know for sure, car was modded and tuned before I bought it. So I installed an Autometer boost gauge part# 4301 to see what boost I am running. It is 15 psi vacuum to 20 psi boost. I dont think it's reading right because the max boost I'm seeing is 10 psi. When I start the car it's running 10 psi vacuum which I think is normal. But at WOT it only goes to 10 psi. I am pretty sure I hooked it up right. I followed the intructions per the gauge and the info I found on here. I hooked into the vacuum line behind the glove box, my line is black. I checked for kinks in the line, found none. So do you think something is wrong with the gauge, or my install, or am I supposed to be seeing 10 psi.
Let me know.

04TNCobra

Mystichrome #794
Established Member
My line is yellow but it's an 04 and I've never followed it over to the passenger side. You might make sure that is the line that goes to the stock boost gauge.

1luckysob

Established Member
04TNCobra said:
My line is yellow but it's an 04 and I've never followed it over to the passenger side. You might make sure that is the line that goes to the stock boost gauge.

It is the correct vacuum line. Should I be pushing 13-14 psi with my mods?:shrug:

prostkr

Established Member
id guess your long tube headers are costing you a pound or 3 of boost......my car stock lower with 2.76 upper hits 14.7 peak but mor like 13#s across a normal run......sounds like you need a lower to make up for the headers.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
1luckysob said:
I just bought my Terminator a couple of weeks ago. Mods are in sig. I was told by my buddy (fellow Cobra owner) that I should be running about
13-14 psi with my mods. Dont know for sure, car was modded and tuned before I bought it. So I installed an Autometer boost gauge part# 4301 to see what boost I am running. It is 15 psi vacuum to 20 psi boost. I dont think it's reading right because the max boost I'm seeing is 10 psi. When I start the car it's running 10 psi vacuum which I think is normal. But at WOT it only goes to 10 psi. I am pretty sure I hooked it up right. I followed the intructions per the gauge and the info I found on here. I hooked into the vacuum line behind the glove box, my line is black. I checked for kinks in the line, found none. So do you think something is wrong with the gauge, or my install, or am I supposed to be seeing 10 psi.
Let me know.

You are fine with the vacuum (A little bit low). Some have it anywhere from 10 to 16 to 18. Your boost should be more however.
Everyone told me to zip tie the connections by the glovebox because of leaks when you do this it should bring up both boost & vac to the measurements you are looking for.

I am about to do this to my car also. Zip tie your connections because you are now basically having a vacuum leak. The gauge and the line and the connections should be a perfect seal.....hope this helps.

Last edited:

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
why the line behind the glovebox??? i just ran it and tapped into a line on the motor... any vac line would work.... try another Boost Guage see what it says... and also if ur guage at 0 when teh car is off???

fjules

Established Member
I have a boost/vac gauge. It reads 20 vac when idling. In boost it reads 18 which correlates with my pulley combo, so I think it is correct. I connected mine by teeing into the vaccum tube behind the glove box.

mavereq

Established Member
as long as you are hooked into a lower manifold line you should be fine.

definately ziptie your lines.

i'm about to put a vacuum manifold on and i'll be running my boost gauge off of it. i'm tired of using t's.

1luckysob

Established Member
:bash: I just remembered something, when I hooked the vac line into the back of the gauge I just barely tightened it on to check for fittment and I am pretty sure I did not tighten it down the rest of the way before I installed the cluster trim.:loser:

SRT10ETR said:
why the line behind the glovebox??? i just ran it and tapped into a line on the motor... any vac line would work.... try another Boost Guage see what it says... and also if ur guage at 0 when teh car is off???

Because that's what I read on here, all you have to do is remove the fitting
and replace it with the T fitting. I will def be zip tying everything when I check the line at the back of the gauge. Thanks for the help everybody!!!

1luckysob

Established Member
1luckysob said:
:bash: I just remembered something, when I hooked the vac line into the back of the gauge I just barely tightened it on to check for fittment and I am pretty sure I did not tighten it down the rest of the way before I installed the cluster trim.:loser:

Doh, I am a dumb ass. I pulled the cluster trim back and sure enough the vac line to the gauge was only finger tight...:cuss:

So I hooked it up RIGHT and zip tied the fittings behind the glove box, and whoa what a difference. It is now reading 18-20 in-Hg vac at idle and peaking out at 13 psi and holding steady at 12 psi.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread