Installed MGW shifter and...

2 SLOW

Keepin' it real
Established Member
It is fairly difficult to shift and it makes a lot of noise when in gear. Yes, I do have Cobrabobs shift gaskets. Any comments welcome. Thanks

Charles236

Established Member
I have just installed an MGW on my Mach1, and noticed that it does take a greater amount of effort than the UPR Blue Thunder (Steeda TriAx clone). Noise hasn't been an issue for me, though I have noticed a little more noise than before (I had the factory rubber isolator on a Roush handle). I like the feel of the shifts much better with MGW, though, and wouldn't go back to any other shifter.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
My MGW T56 shifts like butter. Did not use the shift stops. If it's making noise maybe it's not going in gear all the way. I wonder if there's a way to install these things incorrectly ... ????

Last edited:

BurnTire

Established Member
2 SLOW said:
It is fairly difficult to shift and it makes a lot of noise when in gear. Yes, I do have Cobrabobs shift gaskets. Any comments welcome. Thanks

If you shift stops touch the shifter you can get some noise. Back them off a little so they are not touching when in gear.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
BurnTire said:
If you shift stops touch the shifter you can get some noise. Back them off a little so they are not touching when in gear.

you are supposed to remove the shift stops before install and not use them with the 03/04 cobra. mine made less noise than stock and shifts great, and I also have the cobrabob gasket. willing to bet its something other than the shifter, maybe trans is starting to go or something?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
BadMoFo said:
you are supposed to remove the shift stops before install and not use them with the 03/04 cobra. mine made less noise than stock and shifts great, and I also have the cobrabob gasket. willing to bet its something other than the shifter, maybe trans is starting to go or something?

+1

MGW + TERMINATOR = No Shift Stops.

My shifter is nice and smooth, but it did take about 50 or so miles for it to break in and get to a very silky point. Now it kicks but, and I honesly have not missed a shift since I installed it.

-Jeff

2 SLOW

Keepin' it real
Established Member
I never used the shift stops and took them completely out before install. I just reinstalled it and drove it around and now it is DEAD QUIET. The gasket just needed to be realigned and now I'm loving it.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
i dont mean to hijack, but has anyone ever heard any slight whine while in fifth and sixth gear. it kind of gets sharper as you speed up and it stops making noise when you get of the gas pedal. i dont remeber hearing the noise with the stock shifter.

black_on_black

Got Boost?
Established Member
So is it prefered to take out the shift stoppers on all after market shifters? I have a pro 5.0....do they need to come out? I have a problem with 3rd every now and then, would this help?

DaBoss302

Established Member
Tri AX

BurnTire said:
I am about to install a MGW and take out a Tri Ax. I will post the results.

Cool,

I bought my Tri Ax from a guy that did the swap......I needed shifter from stock so Tri Ax was great.....but a few guys are doing the swap I wonder what it could be..........lol.........let us know .......Might do the swap too.

snackpack

Established Member
I had a pro 5.0 in mine, and the MGW is in a class of it's own. I would never go back to anything else. Hey black, for the pro 5.0, the shift stops can come out. You should take them out, cause they might have a chance to slip. Which could cause your shifter to get stopped prematurely.

BurnTire

Established Member
DaBoss302 said:
Cool,

I bought my Tri Ax from a guy that did the swap......I needed shifter from stock so Tri Ax was great.....but a few guys are doing the swap I wonder what it could be..........lol.........let us know .......Might do the swap too.

Got the MGW installed. It is a nice unit. The adjustable handle is a great feature. It is much smoother than the tri ax. Also very quiet. I will have to give the MGW the edge over the tri ax.

N S

Wants to go faster
Established Member
Haven't used a tri-ax, but I love my MGW. I don't have any problems shifting between gears, but I also buy my MGW used from another board member - any breaking in would have already been done by the time I received it. I did notice a little additional noise with the MGW, but nothing overwhelming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread