Installed MGW shifter, questions and concerns...

Blakers01GT

Established Member
Is it normal for the shifter to be more to the right as well as obviously shorter? The reach from back to front is fine but to get proper shifting I feel i have to lean over to my right, does that make sense? because the gears ARE SO CLOSE together, I have seriously gone into 2nd thinking it was 4th when I am just cruising around. And occasionally hit a wall between 2nd and 4th when going slow. it feels like i have to pull down and to the right to get into 4th, not straight down, same for 2nd to 3rd, feels like i have to go more up and a bit to the right ot hit it. Other then that I love the feel, very smooth and comfortable. EXCELLENT piece of equipment.

Blake

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
For the first 300-400 miles I wasn't sure I liked the MGW. After that it was "broken-in" and I love the shifter. Give it a little time. I think what makes it seem strange is that it changes the knob postition in relation to the pivot point which at first didn't seem natural. I have the version with the red handle.

Blakers01GT

Established Member
KOTH said:
For the first 300-400 miles I wasn't sure I liked the MGW. After that it was "broken-in" and I love the shifter. Give it a little time. I think what makes it seem strange is that it changes the knob postition in relation to the pivot point which at first didn't seem natural. I have the version with the red handle.

Yeah, I hear ya, everything is centered BUT the center is several inches right compared to how it was stock. I hope it's just something I have to get used to ANd "break in" like you said. I still have yet to get the Fiore Quadrant etc as well.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Blakers01GT said:
Yeah, I hear ya, everything is centered BUT the center is several inches right compared to how it was stock. I hope it's just something I have to get used to ANd "break in" like you said. I still have yet to get the Fiore Quadrant etc as well.
Yeah, the fact that it is positioned so far right (I have orange handle) made it awkward at first compared to the Steeda Tri-Ax and stock. When I look at the stock knob when it is in neutral, it looks like the knob is facing the passenger side more than the driver side, but in reality, it really is pretty much straight up and not facing either side. I turned the handle more to me and it is a little better but still noticeable. If the screw that the knob screws onto was tilted toward the driver slightly, I think it would look and feel slightly more natural.

I am also experiencing the break in period, or so it seems. It hasn't been on long, but it is getting better and better still. I was iffy about it at first but now I'm starting to love it!

Users who are viewing this thread