Installed my FR-500 exhaust tonight!!

nsreed

Established Member
What a peice of cake. 30 minutes using a hoist. Old off, new ON! The FR-500 was ordered as the 2001 Cobra system and works great. All factory style hangers are welded on already. MUCH bigger pipes then the OEM exhaust. The kit is 3 peices. the X pipe with the mufflers and two tail pipes. Tail pipes have the polished stainless tips like the OEM. Even has HD sleeve style exhaust clamps for the tailpipes with it. The only mod I had to do was on the right tail pipe welded hanger. I had to bend the front hanger on the tail pipe just behind the rear wheel 45 degrees with channel locks to be able to slide into the rubber mount on the car. That was it. No biggie. That was the only difference on the 03 vs. 01.

The difference in the engine is unreal. The motor really likes this system and breaths great. Plus I had added the other day the K&N system that elimintated the factory air box. Spools up much faster then before. It has a nice rumble at an idle and you can hear and feel it when you kick it. If you are looking for three chamber Flowmaster type of loud, this is NOT the system for you. But it sounds sweet and performs great. As it should have from the factory!!!
Now maybe a new blower pulley. Got to learn more about that first. Any help would be appreciated!

NSR:beer:

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Originally posted by nsreed
If you are looking for three chamber Flowmaster type of loud, this is NOT the system for you.

What does this mean? Is it louder or qwuieter than the Flowmaster three chamber? How does it sound? Real loud? Medium loud? Quiet like the Borla? Louder or more quiet than '01 stock exhaust?

Just looking for details as I am trying to choose an exhaust that performs but is not too loud.

Thanks.

nsreed

Established Member
LOUD??????

It is NOT as loud as a Flowmaster system. More like the Borla. I love it. I didn't want something that raps loud on & off the gas or is Flowmaster loud. It has a sweet rumble sound at all ranges. I simply can't tell you what an incredible difference it made in the performance. The engine loves it! Yes it is louder the the factory exhaust, but very, very nice sound. Hell a vacuum cleaner is louder then the OEM exhuast!

Last edited:

black03SVT

Established Member
NSR,

Will you get the car dynoed soon? I would really like to see if there is any difference in horsepower compared to the Bassani set up.

And how does it sound compared to the Bassani set up anyway?

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Where are you located? I am thinking of the Borla, Bassani or FR - 500. I would really like to hear your set up. I think it would be great to use a Ford exhaust on this thing. I bet it would sound incredible with a Bassani x-pipe (double x-pipes?)

lethal

Established Member
Excellent. Too bad you dont have dyno numbers for before and after (or do you?) in either event I'm almost completely sold on the FR-500 exhaust. I liked it before and knowing they are "sort of" quiet makes it all the better.

In the short time I posted this and then came back to edit the post, I have found the info. What do people recommend to replace the H pipe from the headers to the new FR-500 exhaust?

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
We should setup a group purchase for the FR500 catback. I should have my snake in 9 days.

Undy

Established Member

nsreed

Established Member
FR-500 & K&N system

I purchased both my exhaust system and K&N set up through my local Carquest Parts Store. He is a good friend and runs a great store so I wanted to give him my business. Obviously he deals with Ford Racing & K&N. I paid about $40.00 more for the exhaust then had I ordered from that dealer in Georgia at $599. But figured it was worth it in case I had any problems with fit and had to return it.
The K&N System is part number 57-2523-2. It fits Cobra 4.6 DOHC engines from 96 to 01 according to the K&N people. Of course it worked slick on my 03. If you want pictures of it, please email me with your address and I'll send them to you. I tried to post on the site but it keeps telling me the photo file is too large.
My email is: [email protected].
For those who asked, I live in St. Clair, Michigan
Ned

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Hey nsreed. Thanks for this info. I saw one question asked, that went unanswered that I'ld be interested in knowing, too. How does the FR500 sound compared to the stock 2001 Cobra (not 2003). I really liked the sound of my 01, and would like to duplicate it and pick up the extra HP. Thanks.

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
Black2003,

The FR-500 sounds similiar at idle and at cruising speeds but when the trap doors open the sound is amazing. This exhaust does not have low's like a Flowmaster or Magnaflow system but up top around 5K RPM the snarl/howl is nasty.

The other night I went under a bridge enclosure at 4K in second gear at was in awl.

In my opinion this is the perfect exhaust if your want to keep your car a sleeper.

scott

Established Member
the fr500 exhaust is great. the install and quality is superb. i added a mac off road pipe to the system. the car is mean and loud now. i will dyno soon.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by SlvrSnke01
Black2003,

The FR-500 sounds similiar at idle and at cruising speeds but when the trap doors open the sound is amazing. This exhaust does not have low's like a Flowmaster or Magnaflow system but up top around 5K RPM the snarl/howl is nasty.

The other night I went under a bridge enclosure at 4K in second gear at was in awl.

In my opinion this is the perfect exhaust if your want to keep your car a sleeper.

Thanks SlvrSnke! Sounds like just what I'm looking for.

cobrajg

Established Member
That is actually the stock catback with mac o/r h-pipe. The link to the fr500 and mac o/r h-pipe is here: http://www.cobrajg.com/sounds/fr500rev.wav

Weird reading down the thread and seeing your site, glad to know that ppl have seen it.

I love the fr500, definitely keeping it if I sell my 01. Could be a little louder at idle, but the roar you hear while heading up the rpms is awesome. Waiting to hear the setup with a good x-pipe.

Cobra'03

Established Member
1) I am buying the FR500 also.
2) I prefer the Holley Track Flow to the K&N - it has more pleats, more flow, and claims to filter better because it uses American vs Asian (K&N) cotton. I bought it at Summit Racing for $50, part no 222-1. It is Ford Blue,
3) check out some sounds at www.mustangexhaust.com

redracer

Established Member
haey guys guess what?? picked up my torch red coupe on thursday and was estatic but wifey was driving car today and heard a bang towed car back to dealership with 106 miles on it and service manager says con rod letgo. man am i bummed. i waited and waited for this car and now they say it will be two weeks before they can install new motor under warranty. anybody else had problems with the motor??? people at dealership have been nice but having motor go bad leaves me with empty pit in my stomach

Users who are viewing this thread