Installed new clutch now no boost

CanyonOne

Established Member
I got over 72,000 miles on a 03 Cobra stock except for brakes and air filter. The TOB finally gave up and I used up the clutch and flywheel. I pulled the tranny leaving the H-pipe installed. I replaced the flywheel, clutch, clutch plate, ford and TOB. I got the car back together. I adjusted the clutch and
put a wrench on the compression fittings for the exhaust. I now have no
boot at all even under load. I think I may have loosened the seal on the exhaust manifold. Ideas please.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
How do you know there is no boost? What I mean is, does the car feel like it is not building boost or does the car still pull hard but the boost gauge not move? If the car still drives normal maybe you just popped off a vacuum line that goes to your boost gauge. If you go WOT and the car just doesn't pull at all like it used to, then it is a whole different ball game. I would think even with a bolt loose on your manifolds you would still build boost. So back to the original question?

CanyonOne

Established Member
The car does not pull like it use to

When I romp on the throttle no boost gauge and no throw my head back pull. The clutch was a simple Spec 2. I get no check engine light and the miser arrow is working. I have not put back the covers for the gear shift so the sound of engine exhaust is different. The exhaust sound could be because I don't have the gear shift covers in place or I have an exhaust leak. The smell in the car is the same. No clutch burning, no extra fumes. What are the symptoms of a cracked manifold or a blown manifold gasket?

Jefe

Established Member
And the belt is still on the supercharger? No whine at all? Probably dumb questions haha

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
is the clutch functioning correctly? Does the blower whine? Im pretty sure you have unhooked something somewhere and just forgot to put it back. Or else the system is bleeding boost off for some reason which it shouldnt be. Do you not get any boost at all? If there are no leaks in the system and the belt is turning the superchargerr then it should make boost. The exhaust manifold gasket doesnt have anything to do with it.

CanyonOne

Established Member
I will go back through and check all the belts and hoses to make sure I did not pull anything off when I ran the new clutch cable through the engine compartment. Now taking out the driver seat would not have anything to do with the SC boost?:)

03Gunner

Established Member
Well my analysis would start with what's changed. I would first check for the connections around the transmission that you have to unplug to drop the transmission, like LS1Killer was saying. I think there are 3 underneath. If that checks out then I would think maybe the clutch is not engaging when you let off of the clutch pedal, causing it to slip, maybe your cable is binding or is not adjusted correctly therefore the clutch is slipping, meaning you need more slack in the clutch cable. I definitely would not be dogging it until you figure out the problem, you could make it a lot worst.

One way to check the clutch adjustment is to put the car on jack stands, pull the inspection cover for the clutch off, crank the car with it out of gear, take a flashlight and see what clearance you have between the throw out bearing and pressure plate, there should be about 1/8".

That's just me.

Last edited:

CanyonOne

Established Member
Thanks for the help people. I got the boost needle to move a little without dogging the engine. I am working on proper clutch adjustment. The way I did it was put the whole car on jack stands and have a person tell me when the rear tires started rotating. Right now I don't have enough clutch because I can hardly get it into reverse. I put on a clutch cable adjuster on the firewall. I am putting a few more turn out to take up the cable a little more to get reverse to shift in OK. I followed the how to pictures and vids. I also got a Ford service manual to reference but nothing counts like doing it.

03snkvert

Established Member
Leave the inspection cover off and adjust the cable until the tob starts to keep turning when the car is running and then back it off just enough that the tob is not always turning.

redstang98

slooooooow
Established Member
From looking around Fordtechservice I would also check any and all vacuum hoses leading to the supercharger bypass solenoid and supercharger bypass actuator

Users who are viewing this thread