Installed Ported TB and CAI (now have ?)

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Hey guys whats up? I need to know if someone can help me with my question? Yesterday i installed my first 2 mods, at the same time. (Ported TB and CAI) the car is running so much better (stronger bottom end) im very impressed... But the idle is pulsing a bit, and takes a-little time for idle to come to normal RPM (but it does) Both Mechanics at work told me that the computer needs to get to know the new parts. They said give it a day or two, i trust my buds 100% (good guys) but i thought that you guys might have better, or the same reply. You guys are the SVTF source to go-to. Can you please give me the info that you had or did to your SVTF when you had the Ported TB and CAI done. Do you think i will have to get it re-programmed???? BTW it doesnt do it very bad (very frequently) Thnx guys, any input will be greatly appreciated.. :shrug:

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
+1 They told you right on. These computers do "learn". Just like in the winter, when it starts getting cold, you should discontect your battery for a hour or so, reset the computer. This way your timing and A/F ratio is maximised. Same for Summer. same for new mods. Now, this doesn't meen you can put a Supercharger on, and have the car "learn" how to manage it, you'll need a tune for major thing like that. But, yea, it should be able to handle the TB and CAI no problem, but I would reset the computer anyways, let it warm up, then do a few WOT runs to get it set.

Edit: Ported T/B? make sure the TPS is set right, and the Flap is correct.

6SpeedLover

Established Member
AWESOME guys!!! Thnx,good advice. I get along real good with everbodoy at the shop, so the top body-man told me today: If it doesnt fix its self, he will put it on his computer (and re-program it) Hes a very cool guy (always helping me) You guys gave me the EXACT answeres i was hoping for.. Im in alot better mood now :).. Thnx!! You guys rock!!!! Sorry to be excited, but im relieved...

6SpeedLover

Established Member
BTW, i hope this not a stupid question.... BUT, what is a WOT run??? Does that mean run the piss out of it??? lol, i dont know...
My edit is im gonna guess, but dont laugh if its wron (lol) WOT= Wide Open Throttle????

Last edited:

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
lol, Correct. Wide Open Throttle. After you reset your comupter, do a WOT through at least 1-3 gear, if you can get a good 4th partial in ther as well, then do agressive brakeing with downshifting and egnine braking.

6SpeedLover

Established Member
OMG!!! I should at least get a prize for that guess...lol BTW HalfTime i love advice that gives me reason to romp on the car (for a good cause) Thnx bro :)

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

C:\Socuments and Dettings
Established Member
Hey 6speed what kind of Ported TB did you get? And how much? I'm putting on an AEM CAI soon and am interested in the TB replacement.

6SpeedLover

Established Member
SVT Salvage ports out Stock TB's, so there is a guarntee fit. (very well done,and what a differance in throttle response) New ones are like $300.00 and up. His options are
1: Send him your stock TB, and he will port it to 65mm, and put in a bigger butterfly, for $120.00.
2: Send him $190.00, and he will ship you one out, and you send him your old TB, and he gives you $70.00 back (core charge)
The TB took me 15 minutes to change, but the damn CAI took me over 2 hours lol.
Good luck on what ever you do bro.

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Hey Dearon, thnx for the advice man. Which one do you reccomend?? If it makes a differance, id like to look into them. thnx

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

Established Member
Hows the quality of a ported TB compared to a new one? I mean now the walls are going to be much thinner right with a ported one?

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

Established Member
^^Nice!! I've read somewhere though that having the stock ported is not as good (in the performance area) as a real 65mm one. Is this true? If it isn;t then I think I will get my stock ported. BTW whats the website for these guys that do the porting?

6SpeedLover

Established Member
For the money that i saved, and the performance i got, i have no complaints. The man who does it, knows exactly where to build up the out-side walls of the stock TB. It is well done, but the new one might be better (i dont know) all i can tell ya is that im very pleased with mine, and if you decide to go with them, the website is SvtSalvage.com. You can ask me any questions about the ported TB, and ill try to help you out.

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

HTPerformance

SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
^^Nice!! I've read somewhere though that having the stock ported is not as good (in the performance area) as a real 65mm one. Is this true? If it isn;t then I think I will get my stock ported. BTW whats the website for these guys that do the porting?

I wouldn't see why there would be any difference. A 65mm opening is a 65mm opening...

Also think that an aluminum piece will probably hold in more heat hence increasing your intake air temp slightly.

6SpeedLover

Established Member
HTPerformance said:
I wouldn't see why there would be any difference. A 65mm opening is a 65mm opening...

Also think that an aluminum piece will probably hold in more heat hence increasing your intake air temp slightly.
You have a very good point HTPerformance :thumbsup: I agree with you 100% 65mm is 65mm. And as for the aluminum, i agree again (more heat)= (shrinking and swelling) Dont pay for the name bro... Just get the Ported Stock (thats my opinion) :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread