? installing 4.10's

TLush

Established Member
I've received my 4.10's, TA girdle and speed cal.

Next weekend I am planning on installing them myself. I've done it before but it has been about 10 years.

Does anyone know of a site with pictures and instructions? Or does anyone have the information I need. I've got the tools but it wouldn't hurt to have my memory jogged alittle. The gears are
ford, and the dealer said the tolorences are about .008 to .015.:read:

I appreciate any help:coolman: :coolman:

Ukuleleman

How did install go?

Aloha, looking at posts on gear changes and wanted to know how did it turn out? Also have some grey hairs and can't wait to work on the rear end of my
'95 cobra. Just got through helping brother in-law change his ring, pinion, bearings and put in new posi unit in a 12 bolt chevy rear. (The dude is on a wheelchair and is the original owner of this '68 nova) Install went alright, but we are still not comfortable with slight hum. Hardest thing for us was to chrush the collar. Any problems or advice on your install would help me before I rip into mine.
Merry Christmas to All!

TLush

Established Member
I haven't had any problems with mine at all, Love the 4.10's. It woke up with a new attitude.
I'm no expert at rearends, only done a couple. After checking ,and adjusting pinion depth (with crush sleeve removed) you have to take the carrier back out so you can properly set drag on the pinion. They sell a special tool to hold the yoke (I made on out of some 1/4"x 1"x 24" flat stock, a couple of bolts and a little bit of grinding). Then tighten away, checking the drag with an inch pound torque wrench, it is easy to go to far or not enough. (can cause a hum or vibration).
You may already know this, hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread