Installing 93' cobra bumper on 87' GT.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
How do I install a 93' cobra rear bumper cover on an 87' Mustang GT? To get the old cover off I think you just unscrew the screws in the fenders, then pull the bumper off slowly all the way around. I think it's just push pin type things holding it in place.

I think I know how to do it, but would like to know for sure so I don't have to drive around with no bumper cover on.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I believe there is also an extra support that holds up the rear bumper in the center section (keeps it from sagging). If I can think of it, I'll crawl under mine and take a pic of it.

mustang928

Established Member
Everything is bolted on. To access all of them you need to remove the plastic hatch covers inside the car.

Your going to have remove the bolts connecting the rear fender covers to the rear bumper. You need to go under the car to do this. And as stated above you will need to remove the two brackets on the rear support bumper, otherwise you will not be able to install the cobra bumper.

I would snap pictures but my camera just took a dump!!

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Thanks for the help. i knew the cobra bumper would eliminate the need for the fender pieces. Two brackets? So there will be two brackets under the old bumper cover that are just removed completely?

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
There are 5 brackets that hold the cobra bumper on. 3 are from your existing GT bumper and the other two are discontinued through ford. There are two big U shaped brackets riveted to the metal bumper. Those come off and specific 93 cobra bumper brackets go on. This supports the bottom portion of the bumper so it wont vibrate in the wind and get damaged. The other 3 brackets are a long bracket that runs the width of the rear directly under the taillights. Those are the same on every 87-93 car no matter what model. The other two brackets are under the short bumper extensions on your GT. They can be re used along with the one under the taillights. It is really easy. I did mine about 6 years ago. At that time the rear support brackets were still available. Check with your local Ford dealer and have them do a nationwide parts search to see if any dealerships still have them sitting on the shelves.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Here's the only clear pic I could get:
37979rearbumpersupport1635.jpg

Don't know which brackets are which, even with Bob's excellent description.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Richard in your pic that is one of the two brackets where the lower part of the bumper attaches to the metal bumper. Notice the plastic body clip holding it to it. Here's one that ended on e-bay.

95_1.JPG

Those two pieces attached to the metal bumper are the only difference in mounting brackets between the GT and cobra bumpers discussed here.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Not a problem. Glad to help. Just got back from Stans. My car has new door glass now. woo hoo!!

Users who are viewing this thread