Installing a 4V Timing Set

98BABCobra

Established Member
Hey guys, just wondering if there are any specific things I should look out for/know about before installing a new timing set on my 98 cobra (doing this in addition to a head gasket replacement):

1 - Do the tensioners need to be soaked in oil prior to installation (read that in another thread somewhere)?

2 - The instructions from FRPP indicate the installation needs to be done with the cam followers removed. Is this actually necessary since I won't be removing or degreeing my cams? I am sticking with factory timing.

3 - Will the cams move/rotate on their own from the valve spring pressure when the old secondary chains are removed?

4 - Any other helpful tips I should know before doing this?

19Mystic96

Established Member
no help on most of the questions, but #3 is yes, Mine moved without me knowing (a rookie mistake of me not knowing they would) and I put it back together and started it............ and had to take it back apart to find piston to valve contact.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
It is best to remove the followers when replacing the chains. Reason why: when you start to align them up (dot to dot) it will be hard to hold it if one of the followers is pressing on the spring. You won't be able to hold it while getting the chains lined up.

But to answer your questions:

1. No
2. See above paragraph
3. It will be not freely enough.
4. Tilting the motor left or right helps getting all the followers out. Oh and place a towel or something over the oil pan so you don't drop the cam keys down there. Don't ask how I know. lol.

-Mark

98BABCobra

Established Member
It is best to remove the followers when replacing the chains. Reason why: when you start to align them up (dot to dot) it will be hard to hold it if one of the followers is pressing on the spring. You won't be able to hold it while getting the chains lined up.

But to answer your questions:

1. No
2. See above paragraph
3. It will be not freely enough.
4. Tilting the motor left or right helps getting all the followers out. Oh and place a towel or something over the oil pan so you don't drop the cam keys down there. Don't ask how I know. lol.

-Mark

Thanks for the replies guys

Users who are viewing this thread