Installing DSS driveshaft- 2013 Mustang GT

evanjp

Established Member
Hey guys, just picked one of these up. Hoping for a noticeable result.

Anything I need to be aware of before installing? Any special tools, tips? Going to be doing it on jack stands. How long should it take ballpark?

kdaly

Established Member
Hey guys, just picked one of these up. Hoping for a noticeable result.

Anything I need to be aware of before installing? Any special tools, tips? Going to be doing it on jack stands. How long should it take ballpark?

If I remember correctly you'll wanna jack the car up by the axle tubes to get as much compression as possible, so that you can squeeze it out without taking the exhaust off. If you are gonna take the exhaust off then you dont have to worry about that. Mine aswell install the MGW that you have sitting around at the same time. This install is much easier to do with two people because you have to keep spinning the tires to get to all the DS bolts. If someone is in teh car working the ebrake it save sooo much time. Even having your gf handy is huge. Should take 2hrs tops.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Let the rear hang when you are replacing the shaft, it will make the job easier. I didn't have to remove any exhaust and all my stuff is 3" diameter. However, after you install, you need to measure the CV shaft length per the instructions. At this point, you will need to have some weight on the rear to measure this part properly. What I did was just snug up 2 of the front flange bolts and 2 rear CV bolts just in case my measurement wasn't correct, because per the instructions, if the measurement isn't correct DO NOT RUN THE SHAFT. I didn't want to go through the trouble of tightening half the bolts, release the E brake, rotate, pull E brake and tighten the rest of the bolts only to measure and have the wrong measurement to pull it all back out.

Just follow the instructions and you'll be all set :thumbsup:

evanjp

Established Member
Guys thank you. Question about the MGW while installing the shaft. Will the motor hang down more when the shaft is off? Honestly that screw could not come out at all, it was wedged like crazy between the side of the car and the hole it came out of. Like I barely got it back in to just put the stock shifter back on. It had a bunch of threads left to go also. I think it's literally impossible on my car for some reason.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
No, removing the shaft alone has no effect on where the engine sits. If you want to bring the motor/trans down to access the shifter hardware easier, you will need to support the rear of the trans with a jack, unbolt the trans crossmember from the body and then slowly lower the jack. The mounts will allow the rear to sag some and create some space in the trans tunnel.

evanjp

Established Member
Yeah that's what I did with the cross member and it barely moved down at all. Maybe an inch or two. Literally no room at all whatsoever to get that bolt out. It's seriously impossible on my car.

Users who are viewing this thread