Installing headers Saturday.....

bornatiger

Established Member
I know, I know. There are a thousand threads. So what!!
I have all the tools and mechanical ability to do the install. I am more concerned about tips or tricks that you guys and gals have learned from doing the install.

Any tips or tricks that will make it smoother??? Any is appreciated. I figure by Saturday I may be able to shorten this process.

I do not have a hoist. I am dropping the k member.

TIA SVTP

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Spray wd40 where the oil dipstick tube goes into the block a couple times before sat

FSSNK

Established Member
What kind of headers and what gaskets are you using?

98fourvalve

Established Member
Here is what I have found that was the greatest thing I did for a header install.

Aftermarket K member. So much room now...

But yes like Fssnk asked. Type of headers/gaskets. And are you planning on using locking bolts? I hope so.

bornatiger

Established Member
flowtech headers
frpp gaskets
stage8 locking bolts

I am looking at all of it right now, wishing it would magically appear on the car tomorrow morning.:dw:
Seriously though, just ready to do this and get it over with. :beer:

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
I know some ppl only install two bolts on the starter. I only have two bolts I dont know why they do that.... I didn't install my headers.

Shokker88

Established Member
flowtech headers
frpp gaskets
stage8 locking bolts

I am looking at all of it right now, wishing it would magically appear on the car tomorrow morning.:dw:
Seriously though, just ready to do this and get it over with. :beer:

I hear ya. I have been staring at a pair of BBK long tubes in my garage for about two months now. I've been putting it off until I buy a cam so I can pull the motor and do them at the same time.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I hear ya. I have been staring at a pair of BBK long tubes in my garage for about two months now. I've been putting it off until I buy a cam so I can pull the motor and do them at the same time.

5.0's are 100x's easier. I could do that on a saturday afternoon. Really not that bad at all.

FSSNK

Established Member
After you do it once you will never want to do it again lol

This man speaks the truth! I would use the Ford OEM metal gaskets or Percys or Remflex. The FRPP on mine blew out pretty quick and job had to be redone.:fm:

yefferys50

Established Member
I've installed longtubes on 2 different Mach 1's in well under 3 hours each with 2 other people helping. It's pretty simple with a lift and dropping the k member. The install is definitely not as bad as people make it out to seem.

bornatiger

Established Member
I've installed longtubes on 2 different Mach 1's in well under 3 hours each with 2 other people helping. It's pretty simple with a lift and dropping the k member. The install is definitely not as bad as people make it out to seem.
I don't have a lift but my girlfriend and a buddy of mine will be helping.

Are you planning to replace the motor mounts??
OEM's are sitting in the floor with the rest of the stuff.:thumbsup:

BSXrad

Rocking Your Socks Off
Established Member
When I took my lt's off I dropped the k-member and went to china freight and got the engine support bar. Did it in a tiny ass 1 car garage but it was a pretty straight forward job.

If I remember when I get home I have saved a step by step thread for k member removal that was a big help

bornatiger

Established Member
Damn. there was a lot of crap on the inside of these headers. Especially at the bungs, there was decent size chunks of metal where they drilled into the pipes.
Beware folks!

bornatiger

Established Member
Ended up doing the egr delete and sai delete. That added quite some time since we were winging it! I did remember that there is really only one vac line to plug. Driver header is on and passenger side has 2 bolts to tighten, then put the k and x on. Doing that in the morning.

For the record, I (hopefully) will never ****ing do this **it again. What a ****ing PIA. I have done some pretty major work on cars before and this, hands down, takes the cake. If I have an exhaust leak I'm gonna drive this mother****er off a cliff!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread