Installing JBA midllengths ?

trendkilllx

Established Member
Just wondering how to support motor if dropping K member to install JBA midlength headers on an 03 cobra.
Also what is recommended, h or x pipe with jba midlength headers and do you have to use the jba mid pipe?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I would go with the H pipe that JBA/MRT makes for the headers.

When i do a headerswap i use a jack on the forwardmost part of the tranny possible and i use another jack to lower the K member down.

You can use an engine hoist to hold the motor. Problem with that is, that the legs for the hoist will be in the way under the car to work around.

The 2 jacks work the best for me

trendkilllx

Established Member
Ok thanks for the information. I have some friends that will do the install for free so considering it. Guess the H pipe is 3 inches which seems a bit large, I have a 2.5 inch magnaflow cat back that I plan on using but may have to have a exaust shop fit the hpipe to the catback.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I do not think the H pipe is 3 inches from what i have read. I could be wrong though. The ball flange at the end should be the same size to bolt up to your catback. i think the header has a 3" collector

stang007

Established Member
When I swapped the headers on my GT, I dropped the K-member and supported the engine with a floor jack under the oil pan. Make sure you put a block of wood between the jack and the pan and that it's supported correctly. You'll be able to slightly lower or raise it via the floor jack. good luck

trendkilllx

Established Member
ok, considered long tubes but on my 3rd TOB @ 19k miles under warranty so figured the dealer would not replace another if they had to remove headers to get the trans out.

trendkilllx

Established Member
ok, considered long tubes but on my 3rd TOB @ 19k miles under warranty so figured the dealer would not replace another if they had to remove headers to get the trans out.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Originally posted by trendkilllx

You do not have to remove the headers to take the tranny out. Luckily for us our trannies come out in 2 pieces. You unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing then you remove the bellhousing.

Also you can but a block of wood under the pan and hold it, but the pan bends easily. doing it under the tranny is just fine. ive left them over night with a good jack and a jack stand under it just in case it lowered down with no problems

Dave

trendkilllx

Established Member
ok did not know that you can remove the bellhousing with the tranny still in the car as this is usually what intefers with the headers. Found BBK longtubes for under $500, so thinking of these now since sounds like it is still possible to get the trans out without header removal.

mustarrosa

Established Member
I used the Bassani mids and did not have to jack with the engine. They fit right up without moving anything.

trendkilllx

Established Member
thanks for the additional information. I am thinking the JBA should be as easy as the Bassani Mid length so probably prefer that over the Bassani. My 91 had jba short tube headers on it when I bought it and noticed the good quality of the header.

stang007

Established Member
I've heard of fitment issues with the JBA's as opposed to the Bassini's...you may want to take a quick poll of the guys here before you make that decision. Either way, good luck.

trendkilllx

Established Member
Yep thinking longtube are the way to go with future blower improvment mods. I am thinking of Hooker longtubes since I have heard they have the removable collectors, can get the trans out without header removal.

Users who are viewing this thread