Installing L/T Need Help

Venom2001

Established Member
Hey guys/gals, well I started my l/t project today (putting in Hookers) and I ran into a snag when I tried removing the starter. I've removed both 1/2" bolts and it still won't budge. Am I missing additional bolts or do I just pry it off?
Also, when lifting the engine, about how far up can I go without putting stress on anything?

Thanks in advance.

scjmach1

Established Member
There is another bolt on top of the starter. I used two long extensions and a swival and came in from the front of the engine above the AC compressor.
Stephen

Bob Cosby

Established Member
What he said. When it comes time to reinstall the starter, leave that top one out. Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) puts it back in.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
You will almost certainly need to lift the engine in order to access the header bolts - especially the top ones on the passenger side.

Venom2001

Established Member
that did it.....thanks everyone. All I have is one more header bolt to go then it's install time.

Venom2001

Established Member
I've read about that on another post...thanks.

Well, with my luck, I can't get the left header in...is there a trick to it? I can't seem to get pass the last flange. BTW, I am using jack stands.

Venom2001

Established Member
I've read about that on another post...thanks.

Well, with my luck, I can't get the left header in...is there a trick to it? I can't seem to get pass the last flange. BTW, I am using jack stands.

scjmach1

Established Member
The back bolt holding the motor mount to the engine has to be cut down. I forgot to do this and the header would hit it and not go in. I had to trim it down like the instructions said. Thats the only problem I had on the drivers side.
Stephen

Venom2001

Established Member
Well, they are both finally in...thanks for everyone's help. I ended up grinding about a 1/16th off the flange lobe and that got the right header in.

Trplblacksnake, I wasn't sure if I was up to the task of taking the K-member off by myself.

scjmach1, I guess I was lucky, I was able to wiggle the driverside header in without having to shave off the motor mount. Oh yeah, I ended up having to put this header on twice because I forgot all about the dip stick tube:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread