Installing Lowering Kit Today...Any Tips/Tricks

BlackL03

Being Blown Feels Gooood!
Established Member
Hey guys i got my BellTech 3/4 drop kit today in the mail, and I will be coming home to install it on my baby...

Anyone have any Tips or Tricks on any part...if your not fimiliar with the kit, it has front drop coils (I have cam bolts) and rear hanger and rear shackles, and their shocks...

On a scale of 1-10 for someone who has ok mechanics skills how hard is this install, and how long can i plan on it taking?

Also, do I need adjustable sway bar end links, or are the stockers ok? Does anyone know the stock Pinion angle?

Thanks for all of your help guys/gals!!!

Last edited:

Peanut Racn

Established Member
BlackL03 said:
Hey guys i got my BellTech 3/4 drop kit today in the mail, and I will be coming home to install it on my baby...

Anyone have any Tips or Tricks on any part...if your not fimiliar with the kit, it has front drop coils (I have cam bolts) and rear hanger and rear shackles, and their shocks...

On a scale of 1-10 for someone who has ok mechanics skills how hard is this install, and how long can i plan on it taking?

Also, do I need adjustable sway bar end links, or are the stockers ok? Does anyone know the stock Pinion angle?

Thanks for all of your help guys/gals!!!
I have heard that it is a pain to change out the hangers cause of them being rivited to the frame.
Josh

bonehead

F**k SRT10's
Established Member
Peanut Racn said:
I have heard that it is a pain to change out the hangers cause of them being rivited to the frame.
Josh
air hammer and air chisel...... or you have access, a torch on the passenger side, cant do it on the driver side because of the gas tank.

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
its not too bad, bust out your 3 1/2 grinder, grind the 4 rivets down then use an air hammer to punch them out...

Uh i recomend loosening the bolts in the hangers first, i tried several ways to get the hangers out using the grinder and air hammer takes about 45 mins each side... not to bad... get the truck up as high as you can too!

onb a scale of 1-10 (1 being a Drop in K&N, and 10 being a cam degree job) its about a 4... its simple remove and replace... its just loud, and a messy (sparks etc)

]sVt[Po|son

Established Member
boner said:
air hammer and air chisel...... or you have access, a torch on the passenger side, cant do it on the driver side because of the gas tank.

air chisel ftw...you will need it for sure....hangers are a pain in the ass...the other sstuff is cake

SmokinLightning

Established Member
IT isnt bad with the right tools. I would relocate the emergency brake cables before bolting the leafs back in. I just did it on monday. I did spindles up front and the belltech hangers and shackles in the rear. The rear is perfect, but I want a little more up front I think I am going to get springs also. Also dont tighten the leafs until it is on the ground or jack the rear end up to put pressure on the leafs.

qwklightning

Established Member
The hangers, oh yeah, I remember those. Good luck, pain in the ass. The bed is almost in the way on the drivers side. A grinder will be your best friend, and an air chisel. Make sure the kids are in the house, language can get harsh. It's well worth it though. The rest is easy.

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
qwklightning said:
The hangers, oh yeah, I remember those. Good luck, pain in the ass. The bed is almost in the way on the drivers side. A grinder will be your best friend, and an air chisel. Make sure the kids are in the house, language can get harsh. It's well worth it though. The rest is easy.

:lol: :bash:

BlackL03

Established Member
haha thanks guys...I got the drivers side rivets ground down till I cant tell where they are anymore...they are blended in witht eh stock hanger but the thing still wont come loose...Do i need to force the rivets through the back first and then it will coem off or can I yank the hanger off...will it come off easy once i grind the rivets down all teh way...cause they are and it aint coming off....

BlackL03

Established Member
Also should i use an air chisel with like the pointed attchemnt to force the rivets out the back?

qwklightning

Established Member
Got your PM, You have to find them were you ground them down and punch them threw. A bit of a pain in the ass, I used a hammer and a punch but an air chisel with a pointed attachment would make it easier. The drivers side seemed a little harder, and beware the there are line runing along the frame rail on the drivers side. I lifted the bed to make it easier to get to. Good luck.

BlackL03

Established Member
Ok I got the hangers off but I cant get the rivets out of the hole...I have used the air chisel with both attachments, a hammer, and a sledge hammer...they dont budge...what should I do?

P.S. Thanks qwk!

BlackL03

Established Member
Should I grind the rest of the rivet off and then try to use the air chisel to punch it out...?

qwklightning

Established Member
Yes, grind them all the way down. they should just pop out. It's a pain but thats what I had to do. The more you hit them the more they mushroom out. And don't worry about it, that's what we're here for, so ask away.

BlackL03

Established Member
Thanks again qwk..back out i go lol...hope the neighbors dont mind! :)

qwklightning

Established Member
I was out till about 11:30pm doing mine. Lucky we live out in the country, not too many neihbors to worry about. Good luck, your going to love it. Where in Ohio are you?, I have family in Cleveland

Users who are viewing this thread