Installing my Mcleod clutch and found this..

Poppacapp

Established Member
this is what we saw when the tranny was pulled out.

IMG_20130510_113214_248_zps26a78990.jpg

IMG_20130510_120111_775_zps46c9320b.jpg

It appears somehow, the dust boot ripped... I have been having major 1-2 grind issues, and suspected maybe the clutch was not fully disengaging. Perhaps the slave cylinder was getting "sticky" from crap getting inside the boot area? No telling.

I generally don't have any issues MOST of the time shifting into 2nd on the street. My main grind issues were launching at the track.. some reason I would get grind everytime.. sometimes worse than others.

Put the Mcleod in today with the flywheel and 07-09 Slave cylinder.. which i should have taken a picture of them side by side but forgot.. the 07-09 it "taller" and appears to have alot more throw to it.. but the Mcleod is "shallower", so I can see the need for the 07-09 unit.

I won't have to break in the the clutch(another story altogether), and have done a few street 1-2 shift... zero grind so far. Normal driving seems to shift a little better too... well... other than right after leaving the shop... had the typical clutch line bleeding issues.. different grab points etc.. should get all the air out of the system in the next day or so.

I will update when I make it to the track and get a good launch and 1-2 shift in. Hopefully my issues are fixed.
FRO.gif

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Interesting. I've never seen any commentary regarding a torn dust boot.

Good luck with the new clutch.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Interesting. I've never seen any commentary regarding a torn dust boot.

Good luck with the new clutch.

Thanks.. seems to be working pretty decent now. Had some shudder in reverse and taking off if rpms were low... and it has gone away a decent amount. I tiwll still shudder a little bit if slipping clutch at lower rpms though.

Blackmax

Established Member
Thanks.. seems to be working pretty decent now. Had some shudder in reverse and taking off if rpms were low... and it has gone away a decent amount. I tiwll still shudder a little bit if slipping clutch at lower rpms though.

I have a lot of track passes and street use on my RXT and I can let the clutch out easy at idle and its smooth as butter. Yet I hear of one fellow here that had his RST removed and put stock clutch back in because of vibration and chatter. :shrug:

Poppacapp

Established Member
I have a lot of track passes and street use on my RXT and I can let the clutch out easy at idle and its smooth as butter. Yet I hear of one fellow here that had his RST removed and put stock clutch back in because of vibration and chatter. :shrug:

Well, it's not a bad chatter.. and only if I lug the rpm when taking off or backing up. If I raise rpms a bit it does fine. It may clear up once I start doing some hard slip launches at the track.

Blackmax

Established Member
Well, it's not a bad chatter.. and only if I lug the rpm when taking off or backing up. If I raise rpms a bit it does fine. It may clear up once I start doing some hard slip launches at the track.

I hope it does clear up for you, I have 390 gears which might help as well.

Users who are viewing this thread