Installing NEW ECU/PCM/Computer 1996 Cobra

925 GT

In The Driveway
Established Member
To try and paraphrase a long story, I have a 1996 Cobra that has developed a no start issue. When scanning for codes P0605 comes up. After looking up said code in Alldata and Mitchell books, both of which say to replace computer, I bought a re-manufactured computer via Cardone. I am aware that the PATS system will need to be re-flashed via Ford, but is there anything else that needs to be done when swapping computers, or is it essentially plug and play?

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
That code implies either a broken PCM or someone tried to flash it and bricked it (likely IMHO). Too bad.

I can't think of anything other than PATs that will be a problem for you.

925 GT

In The Driveway
Established Member
That code implies either a broken PCM or someone tried to flash it and bricked it (likely IMHO). Too bad.

I can't think of anything other than PATs that will be a problem for you.

The part that stumps me is that the car has had the P0605 code for as long as I've owned it.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I am not sure what exactly causes that code to be set. I suspect it is a checksum failure. If the flash memory were actually bad you probably wouldn't even get any communication with the reader, let alone have the engine run.

It is possible that you could throw a tune into it and the CEL would go away. Unless only part of the flash memory is bad...

fastferndog

Established Member
It's very possible that it's the PATS that won't allow it to start. Have you had the car diagnosed, or s this based on what the code description said? A bit more detail as to what it's doing or not doing would help.

925 GT

In The Driveway
Established Member
The car has always had a rough time starting, it would also stumble and the idle would drop when coming to a stop. One day, without any warning the car ceased to start. It cranks and pops, but no start. Fuel pressure is good, but spark is intermittent.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Your DTC is pretty ominous.

As I said, a tune might possibly fix it, but then again it might not.

Would you care to sell the bad one cheap for me to dissect?

925 GT

In The Driveway
Established Member
Your DTC is pretty ominous.

As I said, a tune might possibly fix it, but then again it might not.

Would you care to sell the bad one cheap for me to dissect?
Seems like it.

I don't have a tuner, or a reason to tune the car right now, so the cheapest and most effective option will most likely to replace the ECU.

Depends on what you feel cheap is, returning it as a core will get me $80 back.

DiabloGarrett

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Did you check for a chip on the PCM? If one went bad, you would likely get the same no start condition. If theres one on there, pull it out and see if the vehicle cranks. Make sure the key is not in the ignition when pulling the chip.

925 GT

In The Driveway
Established Member
Just wanted to let everyone know that the problem was the PCM. I used a Cardone remanufactured unit and had an independent mechanic program it. After he finished re-flashing, the car started right up.

Users who are viewing this thread