installing springs

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Get an adjustable pan hard bar, or your driver side rear wheel will stick out more then your passenger side wheel. be sure to save up for new struts because the stock struts will wear prematurely with those springs. be ready for a harder ride. Good Luck...

alex12gt

Established Member
dont try and do it without a spring compressor yeah its doable but took me half the time once i got one

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Be very careful with the bearing assembly under the strut mount or you'll be chasing 40+ ball bearings around the garage. It comes apart easily.

Purchase new bump stops. According to FRPP their units look like the stock pieces but offer different dampening to work in conjunction with the lowering springs.

As others said, get an adjustable panhard bar and spring compressor to do the job right.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Yep, strut mount bearings all over the place. I got some GT500 mounts and struts made for 05-10 models on the way. The factory strut mounts are terrible.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Forgot to mention, you may need camber bolts. I bought MM camber caster plates for my install for the additional flexability. At the least, check with Eibach to see if some additional camber adjustment is required with those springs.

Last edited:

BigTony

Established Member
just did mine a couple days ago.

1. If you can grab an electric impact wrench, it will save you a ton of time when you go to get that 21mm nut off the top of the strut

2. rent/buy spring compressors, I got a set from sears for like $40 and it saved me a bunch of time.

3. The stock strut mounts WILL come apart, I reccomend trying to tape them together or use something to hold them together while you compress the spring and take that nut off the top of the strut.

4. Use a torque wrench and blue locktite for anything in the wheel well

5. Make sure when you back the front sway-bar end link bolt out, that you have the spring slightly compressed, if you dont then the threads on the bolt run the risk of stripping as you back it out since they will be at a steep angle. This isn't the end of the world, just something I noticed.

Take your time and good luck!

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
Read the Late Model Restoration guide.

I just installed sportlines and have a few tips.

First off you do not need a spring compressor if you follow the LMR instructions.
I was using an electric impact and when I was taking off the front sway bar links they would keep spinning so I had to use a wrench to hold the back of the bolt.
The Sportlines come with new rear bumpstops.

acrbill

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, adj panhard bar is in my room. Just really needed to know about the strut mount bearing.

When you are removing the strut reach up and hold the top of the mount so it doesn't get stuck on something and separate.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Read the Late Model Restoration guide.

I just installed sportlines and have a few tips.

First off you do not need a spring compressor if you follow the LMR instructions.
I was using an electric impact and when I was taking off the front sway bar links they would keep spinning so I had to use a wrench to hold the back of the bolt.
The Sportlines come with new rear bumpstops.

Yep, followed that as well. No need for Spring compressor and the did the entire car with a friend in about 2hrs.

Strut mount is the biggest issue.

alex12gt

Established Member
Yeah i didnt use the spring compressor on the pass. Side and it took me me about 25min and i couldnt get the spring back on.....went and rented a spring compressor and got the spring back on and the driver side done in 10min

Not saying you cant do it but i just found it far easier to use a spring compressor

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Yeah i didnt use the spring compressor on the pass. Side and it took me me about 25min and i couldnt get the spring back on.....went and rented a spring compressor and got the spring back on and the driver side done in 10min

Not saying you cant do it but i just found it far easier to use a spring compressor

Were you following the LMR install? The control arm is completely relaxed/hanging and the old spring will easily come out once the 4 strut mounts bolts are removed...? The new spring is significantly smaller so I don't see how re-installing was an issue. Actually this is where you really need the second person IMO. Feeding the new spring/strut set up back up into the fender and trying to tighten the 4 upper bolts. I held it in place, while a buddy (Brad, member of this site) tightened these.

ebrow21

Established Member
Did it by myself, no spring compressor needed. Removed the 21mm bolt while it was all supported by a jack, then let the jack down slowly, while making sure it didnt get caught on anything. Also didn't have an issue with the strut mounts. I undid the four top bolts before I removed everything, and took it all out as one piece. If you do it right, you can keep tension on the strut mount as you lower the jack and grab the strut/spring before its weight/angle separates the bearing.

acrbill

Established Member
You may need a spring compressor if you are installing springs other than FRPP K springs or Sportlines which is what I have experience in. I thought you meant to remove the springs.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
If you had to count then things probably didn't go as planned:)

There are at least 47 from my recollection. Thinking there may have even been 48 but I did have a small gap as well.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Anyone know exactly how many BBs are in the strut mount? I counted 47 but there is a gap that looks like can fit 2 more BBs

Don't know the exact amount, but seems as if there was a little space that allowed them to have a gap in between each.

Users who are viewing this thread