Instrumental Panel Backlight Not Working - Advice needed!

JMHCobra

Established Member
Howdy guys,

So, I hopped in my '03 to drive over to a friend's apartment tonight to find that the backlight on the instrument panel isn't working (behind the tach/speedometer/fuel gauge, etc). All the warning lights and shift-lights work, though. I played around with knobs left 'n right, but no go. Headlights work fine, as do the interior dome lights, but not the instrument panel.

Has anyone else had this problem? I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything. I hope this isn't something major in terms of electronics ... does that thing even have a bulb that could potentially burn out?

Thanks for any help! Makes it a real pain in the neck to drive the car at night not knowing how fast I'm going.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if the problem isn't with fuse or wiring, you'll most likely have to replace the entire gauge cluster....

from service manual:
"The Mustang instrument cluster backlighting has illumination bulbs that are installed separately from the instrument cluster.
The Cobra instrument cluster has a laminated, electroluminescent applique to backlight the cluster . The electroluminescent applique and instrument cluster must be installed as an assembly."

JMHCobra

Established Member
Hrm, bummer ... thanks for the heads up. I really have no idea what caused this -- I recently had my door replaced (girl backed into it one morning), and I'm wondering if they somehow could've messed up the wiring or what not. I seriously doubt it, though.

Hopefully this is just a fuse. I'll have to check that out, assuming I can find it.

Thanks again.

rob03svt06

Purple Heart Veteran
Established Member
Theres A Small Little Electronic Box Inside The Cluster, Thats Shot. Mine Did It, And Had To Buy A New Cluster To Have It Fixed.

JMHCobra

Established Member
rob03svt06 said:
Theres A Small Little Electronic Box Inside The Cluster, Thats Shot. Mine Did It, And Had To Buy A New Cluster To Have It Fixed.

Oops ... edit -- completely misread the response. How much does a replacement go for? And is it covered under warranty?

Last edited:

69Mach1351w

Established Member
well although it sucks, it seems that a few of us have had the same problem. luckily my car was still under warranty, but the complete cluster had to be replaced.

Good luck with it, i hope it doesnt happen again, i bet its expensive.

rob03svt06

Purple Heart Veteran
Established Member
JMHCobra said:
Oops ... edit -- completely misread the response. How much does a replacement go for? And is it covered under warranty?

mine went after the warrenty, about 350- 400 plus your old one,

JMHCobra

Established Member
So, update ...

It has randomly started working again. *shrug* I hate intermittent problems, 'cause if you take it the Ford dealership, they won't do anything to fix it.

Maybe it'll stay working.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Had this problem in my L. It wouldn't light up until after about 10 minutes of driving if at all. I had to have the gauge cluster replaced.

s_x_i

Established Member
Did it in mine too. Went out, worked for a few days, went out, worked again, out again etc... it finally just quit. I changed out the headlight switch but that didn't help. The only cure seems to be a new speedo :(

Users who are viewing this thread