Insurance Help Please

boost4me

Banned
OMG GET THIS!!

I have been with Geico for many many years with a perfect track record. No claims, no accidents, tickets... etc...

I've recently done some heavy mods in my signature and over time have probably spent upwards of 13-14K... so like any responsible person, I wanted to make sure I was carrying enough insurance to cover the modifications. So I called Geico and they said sure, no problem just give us a list of stuff you have done and costs and we will be glad to help you.

Two days later someone from underwriting calls me this morning and says... yeah were sorry, but we are dropping your Mustang from coverage effective January on your renewal date.

So I'm ****ed... Geico is by far the cheapest, but I do want to make sure the car is appropriately insured.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I can use to cover the car?

boost4me

Banned
Because the car has been heavily modified for racing purposes.

I told them specifically, I don't "race" the car. But they said the modifications are racing modifications. A few choice words were exchanged and we hung up on each other.

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I have progressive and ive been with them for 10 years. they have been very good to me and I pay $180 a month for full coverage on my 03 gt 03 cobra and my 05 freestar van. gt and cobra have an additional 5k in coverage each. $250 deductable

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
F Geico....no offense, but you should have expected that to happen.

NO ONE should be keeping their terminators on standard insurance anymore....you will NEVER get anything near what the car's actual value is based on how insurance policies work

Everyone should put their cobra's under specialty insurance, it's MUCH cheaper too
Track insurance is offered, but its $$$$$$ and not worth it for anyone but a full time racer.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
American Collector here. No complaints and it's cheap. I had Hagerty for a few years but they kicked me to the curb after my daily driver turned over 5 years old. AC has no such provision.

boost4me

Banned
F Geico....no offense, but you should have expected that to happen.

NO ONE should be keeping their terminators on standard insurance anymore....you will NEVER get anything near what the car's actual value is based on how insurance policies work

Everyone should put their cobra's under specialty insurance, it's MUCH cheaper too
Track insurance is offered, but its $$$$$$ and not worth it for anyone but a full time racer.

Totally agree man... no offense taken... I was really exposing myself financially with the investment I have made in my car. It was getting to the point where I was scared to drive it for fear of someone hitting me and totaling it.

What do you guys think I should insure it for? They have this agreed value with Grundy. The quote I did was for 40K, think I should go higher? 40K is basically what I have in it... maybe slightly less.

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
ok well I called and went to grundy.com again and wow what a savings this time. for $30,000 coverage it will cost me $400 a year.

quad

Established Member
Totally agree man... no offense taken... I was really exposing myself financially with the investment I have made in my car. It was getting to the point where I was scared to drive it for fear of someone hitting me and totaling it.

What do you guys think I should insure it for? They have this agreed value with Grundy. The quote I did was for 40K, think I should go higher? 40K is basically what I have in it... maybe slightly less.
I'm with Grundy and went with 50k. To be honest the car is worth even more to me but I figured I could live with that amount. Of course you pay a little more.

Total cost of ownership with my car is over 70k so far in close to 10 years - this includes gas I put in the car, insurance, registration, purchase price, mods, maintenance, the works. It's not a cheap hobby.

Then again someone smoking a pack of cigarettes a day for 30 years in Michigan would be paying 75k by today's prices.

BULLITT314

Established Member
Try barret jackson insurance, If you are over 25. I got a quote from them on my cobra and bullitt before but found out I couldn't get it because of my age.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
don't all of these specialty insurance companies limit the number of miles driven per year? I can't have any mileage restriction

Users who are viewing this thread