Insurance Police

hwystr

Established Member
Just got my insurance renewel letter last week from Progre$$ive, actually the rate is fine, its eligibility rule #8 that has me perturbed.

8. The Company will not insure the following vehicles:
a. A vehicle which has been substantially modified from its original manufactured state for purposes of increasing the speed of acceleration capabilities of the vehicles. The following characteristics would be considered "substantially modified":
-Raised or lowered suspension :bored:
-Steering geometry changed :sleeping:
-Engine or drivetrain altered or changed :eek:
-Addition of traction bars
-Oversized tires :nono:

So I did some searching, and found some threads that some Geico Cobra customers were recently dropped after they were photographed in line for some 1/4 mile runs at a NHRA track... :eek: So make sure you take your plates off at the track (I never would have thought of this)!

So now that I'm totally paranoid that Illl get left hi & dry if I ever "need" my insurance (if I were to substantially modify my car). Have any of you guys seen this stuff? Do the other insurance companies also have "clauses" that void you insurance if you mod ? Part of me sympathizes with the insurance company (obviously more power increases the chance of loosing it) but there needs to be a way we can be responsible and still have fun. Last thing I need is to have my first accident in 20yrs, really need the coverage, and end up loosing my life savings or something.

To add to the paranoia, do we have any insurance agents under deep cover in the club??? Let's keep that member list top secret, I bet they are trying to buy membership lists from MM&FF too... :mj:

bnmestrouse

COBRAd
Established Member
In an effort not to be too sarcastic, my answer would be that only Progressive would have this clause as all the others have their clients best interest in mind.

Or

I'm sure they all do and maybe JP can respond to this question best as he had a recent run in with the issue after his fender bender returning from the Woodward Cruise.

Insurance companies are in business to reduce their risk, not worry about ours so I would expect you, and most anyone that put's any mod. on is in trouble in the time of needing coverage. The mods listed in the thread seem mild in comparison to other modifications MCT members are doing.

Good luck. Don't hit anybody, even in a no fault state I'm sure they have a way to put the responsibility on the mod'd vehicle.

It's not the main reason I keep mine stock, but it's right up there. I'm sure if I tried to get authorization from my insurance company for what mods are authorized they would put me on a flagged list, and then the only good hand I would be in, would be mine.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Hey hwystr, haven't heard from you in a while, what have you been up to?

I'm glad I don't have:
-a lowered car
-suspension geometry changes
-an altererd or changed drivetrain

-D

I will have to look at my policy to double check. I have heard of roll bar / cages being an automatic cancellation, but certainly not those changes you cited. I also have heard it's a good idea to add a 'rider' to your car to cover aftermarket bling in case of the items/car being stolen. More homework for the winter...

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
AAA also has the same language in their policies. If you want to pay extra they will then insure your modded car. I have the highest deductible possible because I think that should I get in an accident I am not sure it would be covered. So I try to minimize the amount of premium that might be wasted.

CobraSVT657

Established Member
Even though my Cobra hasent been insured for a year and a half. I did sit down with my insurance agent, who is also a good friend. And we went over the dollar amount I'll have in my car when completed. Of course my rate will be higher then the typical 96 Cobra because of the $30,000.00 in mods. But I also will only have full coverage when driving the car on the street, since an accident at the track isnt covered under any policy. Car insurance is a pain in the ass to start with, I would hate to live in MI with their 'no fault' :nono:

hwystr

Established Member
Thanks for replies guys, yeah I've been MIA this past year (had some serious house projects). I'm not worried about getting my money back on any mods... I'm worried about not "having" insurance if I am unfortunate enough to get in a serious injury accident then the insurance company says they won't cover my liability because of mods. Unlikely yes, but that is really the only reason to have insurance - just in case...

I'm wondering if I had some sort of umbrella policy if that would provide liability protection...

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Same thing with Nationwide.
The only way to be covered is add a policy to cover your upgrades.
Pay more Play more.

JP

CobraSVT657

Established Member
Snakebite said:
Try checking one of THESE "Hot Rod" underwriters out. :read:

OH SNAP!!! I dont know how accurate those are but I went through Grundys quote thing and to insure mine for $40,000.00 it was only $520.00 a year for comp and collision :read:

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
CobraSVT657 said:
OH SNAP!!! I dont know how accurate those are but I went through Grundys quote thing and to insure mine for $40,000.00 it was only $520.00 a year for comp and collision :read:

:thumbsup:

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Snakebite said:
Don't care for I'm a trippin...Pink Floyd luvin...oh my heads a spinnin...gonna hurl if I keep lookin...psychedelic hwystr avatar JP? :shrug:

NO.... FIX IT.

JP

Users who are viewing this thread