Intake backfire when stabbing the throttle

blackstripe98

Established Member
My car is backfiring sometimes when i stab the throttle from an idle but its threw the intake its a 5.0 stock tune fuel pressure is at 35 and running stock 10 deg timing Any tips?:shrug:

Hockeyman48

Established Member
Hopefully its in your ignition system. Try a tuneup/ plugs,wires,cap,rotor and see if that clears up the backfire.If not, it could be a number of things mechanical/ valve train related,etc.I'd start with the basic tune first.Is it missing on acceleration/high RPM ?

Last edited:

Hockeyman48

Established Member
A broken exhaust spring/rocker arm(no lift on exhaust cycle) can create an intake backfire as well as a bent intake valve but you would be noticing this with a constant miss on that cylinder.That probably is not happening.Does it miss on acceleration/load or only backfire on stabbing throttle from idle.Does it backfire from stabbing at part throttle /2000 rpm?

blackstripe98

Established Member
No sir it does fine if you have it reved a little ... just from idle and sometimes it doesnt do it at all... Could it be extra gas in the intake from a leaky injector or something but that would cause a miss to wouldnt it

Last edited:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
First... Clean your MAF and replace your spark plugs and see if it goes away..

If it doesnt, try raising your fuel pressure slowly starting at 36 and going to a max of 38psi... at each psi check to see if the problem goes away.

Last rais your timing to 12 degrees.

Chances are if they dont solve the problem, I'm gonna guess that the timing chain is stretched and is causing a valve timing issue thats letting it pop through the intake.

Last edited:

blackstripe98

Established Member
First... Clean your MAF and replace your spark plugs and see if it goes away..

If it doesnt, try raising your fuel pressure slowly starting at 36 and going to a max of 38psi... at each psi check to see if the problem goes away.

Last rais your timing to 12 degrees.

Chances are if they dont solve the problem, I'm gonna guess that the timing chain is stretched and is causing a valve timing issue thats letting it pop through the intake.

I just put a new double roller in it when I put the F cam in so I hope thats not it lol Ive tryed turning timing and fuel pressure and it will still do it so I dont know

Users who are viewing this thread