Intake Dilemma

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Going to a 2.2 KB @ 17psi setup soon. I've read enough and have some options but what would you do? I think I know the answer but I guess I'm looking for some reassurance.

Currently running a K&N FIPK and stock intake tube. After installing a Lethal IC res. the K&N won't fit with the heat "shield." It will fit with no problems without the shield but I get an air leak. Because of the design of the filter mount & intake tube I need that 1-1.5mm thick shield (spacer) between the mounting surfaces. I thought about making this spacer b/c I have the same thickness plate laying around but it's going to be a PIA to do it right b/c I don't have proper fixturing with the tools I have....best bet would be to have it laser cut with rough dimensions that I provide.

I like the idea of having the filter shield (or going CAI). I bought the JLT shield (to clear the IC res.) knowing that it might not fit all intakes in hopes that it would fit the K&N without the K&N shield, but it doesn't so that's not an option.

My thoughts are:

a) Keep the K&N and make or have the spacer made and use stock tubing. (Is the stock tubing that restrictive? Major drawback?)

b) Buy a new intake. Looking on Lethal's site....I was leaning towards the JLT Nextgen CAI or the JLT high boost. Looks like the Nextgen can be modified into the high boost, if needed.

On a side note, why do I see so many pics of JLT RAI setups with crumpled filters? Bad installs?

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
have you tried bending the shield to make it fit. ive seen other people do this.

or

get the next gen high boost which will help you with cooler ait's and a nice bump in power. your going to have to get a retune with the KB so you might as well upgrade so you dont have to tune it twice.
also, jlt just redesigned it again so the maf no longer hits the valve cover as well.

Last edited:

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Yeah, I've tried to form it to fit better and it's just not going fit with the shield.

And I was thinking along the same lines as your comment about the retune. I realize I would need a retune if going to a CAI but in this case it'll be necessary for the KB so it's not a big deal to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread