intake plenum question

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
another thing i just noticed at lunch, is that it holds the rpms at like 2 grand when i am stopping until i come to a complete stop, and then it slowly comes back down to just above 1000 rpm. it didnt do this before.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
WHITE2000GT said:
another thing i just noticed at lunch, is that it holds the rpms at like 2 grand when i am stopping until i come to a complete stop, and then it slowly comes back down to just above 1000 rpm. it didnt do this before.

Have you tried what i suggested? Also, wouldn't hurt to clean your MAF with electronic cleaner.

CRC_cleaner.jpg

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
WTF said:
Have you tried what i suggested? Also, wouldn't hurt to clean your MAF with electronic cleaner.

CRC_cleaner.jpg

i havent tried anything as of yet, (im still at work). where can u get that electronics cleaner?

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
WHITE2000GT said:
i havent tried anything as of yet, (im still at work). where can u get that electronics cleaner?

pep boys. :thumbsup: Last you a long time. Good to spray out all your connections to clean up the corrosion. Your maf, depending on your weather conditions, air quality, near construction site, etc, you should clean about once every couple years or as needed.

Those other things I mentioned should fix it. Also if your new intake isn't sealed properly, you could have a vacuum leak. Try spraying a little brake cleaner at the back of your engine against the firewall while your engine is idling. If your engine surges, there's a leak somewhere.

edit: actually that vacuum leak check trick might be used with carb cleaner, now i can't remember. It's one or the other. Or you can do what my friend does. He uses a cigarette. Blows smoke to the back of the engine and watches the smoke to see if it gets sucked in. LOL :D

Last edited:

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
thanks for your help i will try all things u mentioned. cant wait to get my parts in (new intake and jlt cai kit). then time for some gear reduction...373's here we come.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
WHITE2000GT said:
thanks for your help i will try all things u mentioned. cant wait to get my parts in (new intake and jlt cai kit). then time for some gear reduction...373's here we come.

Your welcome. You'll like the JLT, same thing i got. One tip though, just to save you a headache. Use WD-40 to get those rubber couplings on. Also, where the JLT tube meets the strut tower, it's EXTREMELY tight, put a little dab of (S)silicon RTV cuz it will eventually wear in to the tubing and start vibrating/tapping against it. This in turn creates a weird faint clicking sound in your cabin which sent me though a while goose chase trying to find that phantom sound. Also put a little (v)velcro in the back where that metal thing makes contact (the fuzzy side). That too will tap.

dscn05831ni.jpg

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
thanks again, great tips by the way. did it help performance? i mean can u "feel" a difference?

WTF said:
Your welcome. You'll like the JLT, same thing i got. One tip though, just to save you a headache. Use WD-40 to get those rubber couplings on. Also, where the JLT tube meets the strut tower, it's EXTREMELY tight, put a little dab of (S)silicon RTV cuz it will eventually wear in to the tubing and start vibrating/tapping against it. This in turn creates a weird faint clicking sound in your cabin which sent me though a while goose chase trying to find that phantom sound. Also put a little (v)velcro in the back where that metal thing makes contact (the fuzzy side). That too will tap.

dscn05831ni.jpg

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
WHITE2000GT said:
thanks again, great tips by the way. did it help performance? i mean can u "feel" a difference?

eh... you can feel a slightly better throttle response, but I don't believe you truly take advantage of it unless you open up your exhaust a little and get a better flowing plenum to take advantage of the increase flow. Pick up a used plenum from dragon, accufab or c&l to really maximize your better intake ability. Remember, we're talking minor changes and most people don't feel a change less then 10rwhp. But if you get a plenum and the RAI, combined with your TB, you very well might pick up 10rwhp or more at higher rpms which would equate to you "feeling" it. :coolman:

nl mex

4.6 Liters of Fun
Established Member
ford just replaced my cracked intake on my 99 gt for free.........coulda taken your car to Ford, maybe? The intake lawsuit lasted until 2001 gt's.........and if you already spent money on another intake, Ford will give you money back.

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
nl mex said:
ford just replaced my cracked intake on my 99 gt for free.........coulda taken your car to Ford, maybe? The intake lawsuit lasted until 2001 gt's.........and if you already spent money on another intake, Ford will give you money back.

thanks, i didnt know that. i will call and see if they'll do that.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
BigDaveDogg said:
WTF...what did you dyno?? Also, how do you like your pullies?

Doh, didn't see this, sorry. The dyno number was pretty anemic. :( Like 228rwhp or something like that. But two things, one it was one of those days where it was raining like no body's business. Like probably one of the hardest rain Cali ever sees per year. Two, it was on a mustang dyno and those always seem to give off weak numbers. All of this going though my slushbox of a tranny. No matter, I can still give my full-bolt 5-speed buddy a run for his money, hahaha! :-D

The pullies was what I consider one of better bolt ons as far as SOTP change. I bought em used for 100 bucks and while I was at, I switched out the belt since my stock was slipping during WOT hard shifts. For whatever reason, this mod also cured my car hesitation to start sometime while warm. So nothing but positive to report from that mod. :)

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
WTF, can you get me a pic of the engine from the opposite angle. I think I need another little tube like the one included in the kit to connect my IAC, but I'm not positive. It seems like the connection on the intake tube and the end of the IAC tube don't mate. Also, Jay just told me to turn the tube at the black box and it will all come together. I dunno what the problem is...but I can't get this together. My last step before it's able to be started...frustrating as all hell.

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
BigDaveDogg said:
WTF, can you get me a pic of the engine from the opposite angle. I think I need another little tube like the one included in the kit to connect my IAC, but I'm not positive. It seems like the connection on the intake tube and the end of the IAC tube don't mate. Also, Jay just told me to turn the tube at the black box and it will all come together. I dunno what the problem is...but I can't get this together. My last step before it's able to be started...frustrating as all hell.

well i got mine put on. pretty simple install. on of the fittings didnt slide over the maf so i had to trim the i.d...any way here are some pics of i think you are having problems with. oh and i cut my finger trying to slide off the iac hose from the inlet tube... so you better thank me. nah j/k anytime...

10ys.jpg

30sy.jpg

40xe.jpg

53jo.jpg

i think this may be your problem, does your fitting look like this?

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
Damn, I like how I figured it out before I noticed anyone posted for help, haha. Turns out when I removed the factory intake there was a plastic piece still in the IAC tube, that I thought was supposed to be there. At second glance I noticed that it had to be gone, and I slipped 'er on. Now my intake is all set...except for the heatshield which seems to fit like shit. Did you trim yours or what is the deal?

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
BigDaveDogg said:
Damn, I like how I figured it out before I noticed anyone posted for help, haha. Turns out when I removed the factory intake there was a plastic piece still in the IAC tube, that I thought was supposed to be there. At second glance I noticed that it had to be gone, and I slipped 'er on. Now my intake is all set...except for the heatshield which seems to fit like shit. Did you trim yours or what is the deal?

Glad you got it setup. :thumbsup:

As for the heatshield, just wedge it between the hardlines... It's not exactly a perfect fit.

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
BigDaveDogg said:
Now my intake is all set...except for the heatshield which seems to fit like shit. Did you trim yours or what is the deal?

well i tried brute force, but i didnt work. tried everyway possible to make it fit. so what i did is trimmed about 4-5 inches off the long side. worked out pretty good. thought about takin mine off though, what do you guys think? good idea?

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
WHITE2000GT said:
well i tried brute force, but i didnt work. tried everyway possible to make it fit. so what i did is trimmed about 4-5 inches off the long side. worked out pretty good. thought about takin mine off though, what do you guys think? good idea?

I dunno. I've heard conflicting information. Some say it makes a difference, some say it doesn't do shit. It defiantly does look better without that ugly shield. But I decided on leaving it in. In fact, I tried to make it seal a little better as you can see by the pic above. Probably was a futile effort, heh. :p

Users who are viewing this thread