Intercooler leak? Replacement options?

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Ok, I'm pretty sure I have an intercooler leak. I have been losing intercooler coolant slowly for a while now. Had to pull the unit to replace the EGR hose due to lean codes, and this is what it looks like inside....

Does this look like a leaking intercooler to you? (it sure does to me)
What are my best replacement options? (this is my factory stock daily driver)

IMG_2187.JPG

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
I figured the obvious "clean" spot was from the coolant vaporization.
The car is at the dealer, so I haven't seen it in person. Going off of what the dealer says he found.

These are the other pics I have...
IMG_2184.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG
IMG_2186.JPG

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I figured the obvious "clean" spot was from the coolant vaporization.

Yep, that's what it looks like to me. Clean spot is indicative of a coolant leak, but it's not definitive. I would do as Slo98 mentioned and see if you can have it pressure tested.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Stopped at the dealer this morning. Yeah, it was definitely leaking and probably has been for quite some time ~ oil and coolant are cooked in the intake there like chocolate pudding, the way mama used to make it on the stove top! Yum?

Put a new intercooler on order this morning with LFP ~ 3 day build time, then overnight shipping. If all goes smoothly I should have my car back next friday (not sure why I believe it will suddenly go smoothly now when it hasn't so far).

Pondered having my SC ported while it is out, but I don't think I could have it turned around in time to stay on schedule.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Stopped at the dealer this morning. Yeah, it was definitely leaking and probably has been for quite some time ~ oil and coolant are cooked in the intake there like chocolate pudding, the way mama used to make it on the stove top! Yum?

Put a new intercooler on order this morning with LFP ~ 3 day build time, then overnight shipping. If all goes smoothly I should have my car back next friday (not sure why I believe it will suddenly go smoothly now when it hasn't so far).

Pondered having my SC ported while it is out, but I don't think I could have it turned around in time to stay on schedule.
LFP? Interested to see how this works out. No offense, but that's a bad name around here.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have ordered a few items from LFP and have not had any issues. I was not aware of issues forum members had until after I ordered from them, but I have not personally had any problems with LFP.

My suggestion is see if you can get yours repaired or go on eBay and buy a good used one. Only other one I have seen was from LFP. Looks like a good unit, but it's expensive. And someone else mentioned their LFP cooler arrived in a deformed condition.

Guess it's a crap shoot either way.......

D-MANN

Established Member

Im curious if you checked the website and it said in stock and placed your order only to find out you have to wait?They have a terrible rep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Did you check the o rings on the tubes coming from the intercooler adapter going into the intercooler? Mine were bad/old causing a coolant leak and looked exactly like yours, maybe worse. I'd replace those before shelling out big money for an intercooler.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Well, it doesn't seem that there are any other aftermarket vendors for the intercooler, so LFP it is. I was a bit suprised that they didn't have one in stock, but they quoted me a 3 day build and $40 for overnight shipping. It arrived at the dealer this morning, right on time. Haven't seen it, but I hope it is straight and new!

No, did not end up having it pressure tested, or check the o-rings. The leak was actually visible ~ dripping coolant.

I've never had my blower off but the welds on the end tank don't look factory. Looks like the thing was capped or something

Factory welds. I'm the original owner and this is the first time the SC / IC have been pulled.

sicfast

Established Member
I will also be purchasing the lfp intercooler for my w245hpr install. As well as every single cooling mod possible.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
How many miles on the car?

About 65k miles. Daily driven, but my commute is only about 10 minutes each way. Not ideal for the car, but it is what it is.

Got my car back Monday night, and today the roads are finally dry enough to...umm... "properly test for full functionality, post-repair". >.>

I have to say, my car has not felt this great in a long time! Money well spent. I just wish that somehow I had been able to work in a rebuild and port job on the SC!

BTW, here is a pic of the EGR hose, which started me down this whole path to begin with (P0174 lean bank codes).
IMG_2293-low.jpg

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
About 65k miles. Daily driven, but my commute is only about 10 minutes each way. Not ideal for the car, but it is what it is.

Got my car back Monday night, and today the roads are finally dry enough to...umm... "properly test for full functionality, post-repair". >.>

I have to say, my car has not felt this great in a long time! Money well spent. I just wish that somehow I had been able to work in a rebuild and port job on the SC!

BTW, here is a pic of the EGR hose, which started me down this whole path to begin with (P0174 lean bank codes).
View attachment 85955

Hey Mike,

Do you have an update on your intercooler? Still doing good?

Users who are viewing this thread