Intercooler pump not pumping at times??

curry101

Established Member
Hey guys, I got some weird stuff going on. My intercooler pump will pump water intermittently. I jumped the relay and hear the pump running but no water is flowing. After driving it a little bit and popping the intercooler reservoir cap While it is hot I have bubbles coming up like its burping... No leaks on the ground... But if you pressurize the system with a pressure tester it flows no problem... anyone else ever have this issue?

Tommy92

Established Member
I've had something happen like this to me when I had my 04 Saleen SC. It turned out after weeks of scratching my head the previous owner installed the pump wrong and gave it reverse flow. I would have bubbles come up from the bottom of the reservoir and no flow from the top hose into the reservoir. If the IC pump worked before this is not going to be the case for you though.

Last edited:

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
some where on the forum theres a link to take the pump apart i had a pump stop working took it apart cleaned it out and was good to go. i would try that before you but another

curry101

Established Member
I've had something happen like this to me when I had my 04 Saleen SC. It turned out after weeks of scratching my head the previous owner installed the pump wrong and gave it reverse flow. I would have bubbles come up from the bottom of the reservoir and no flow from the top hose into the reservoir. If the IC pump worked before this is not going to be the case for you though.

I think that's what is going on... It's been funky ever since we put the motor back in... Thanks guys... I'll pull it apart right now

curry101

Established Member
And what was causing the air was the Kenne Bell mammoth coolant tubes were backwards... All good now

curry101

Established Member
Annnnnddddds it's not flowing again... Sitting here in the garage I heard bubbles coming up and next time I tried it I got no flow

01yellercobra

Established Member
Have you tapped on it to see if it would start pumping? When mine went out it would randomly start pumping. But it was never very strong. I swapped it out and haven't had a problem since.

curry101

Established Member
BUMP! Car is still having issues.. heres the mod list

kenne bell 2.8 liquid cooled
fluidlyne heat exchanger
brand new intercooler pump

I vacuumed the coolant into the system so there was no air in the system
pressure tested the system and it held 20 psi for 20 minutes
jumped the relay and it was pumping all good
drove the car home and turned it off and heard bloop bloop bloop from under the hood.
Jumped the relay and the fluid isn't pumping anymore but the pump is running.
looks like it has created another air pocket in the outlet line of the pump

I'm stumped and have no idea what to do.... I just want to boost

Has ANYONE had this issue before? please help

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
i would start it and when it stops working back probe pwr and ground to the pump if you have that then its the pump if not then its higher up might have to do a continuity test from the relay down etc.... i would try back probing first

edit: sorry i posted and then read the pump is running but not moving coolant, you psi tested it and it held you could try to put it on a vaccum and energize the pump if it was another air pocket, IMO i agree with slo984now and put a new one in

Last edited:

curry101

Established Member
i would start it and when it stops working back probe pwr and ground to the pump if you have that then its the pump if not then its higher up might have to do a continuity test from the relay down etc.... i would try back probing first

edit: sorry i posted and then read the pump is running but not moving coolant, you psi tested it and it held you could try to put it on a vaccum and energize the pump if it was another air pocket, IMO i agree with slo984now and put a new one in

pump is brand new.. literally replaced it friday. :(

Users who are viewing this thread