Intercooler pump not working?

gleng

Established Member
Hey I know this topic has been beaten to death, but my intercooler pump doesn't seem to be working properly. I just installed my new afco heat exchanger ensuring the connections are all in the right place. Went to fill and burp the system by jumping the relay on the pump and then ran into trouble. I filled the reservoir initially and then jumped the relay. I can hear the pump buzzing so I know its on. I tried pinching some lines to try to coax the coolant through but it just stayed airlocked. I ended up attaching a shop vac to the upper hose and sucked coolant all the way through, refilling the reservoir twice. I hooked the hose back up the reservoir and jumped the relay again. No circulation visible.

So now to my question; what is the possibility that the pump is running but the impeller is broken or not working properly? I don't know much about the pump design or whether it is the pump causing this problem at all.. I'm easily willing to replace the pump but I'd obviously rather not if I don't have to.

Not sure if this is very relevant to the pump life but the car has a hair under 30,000 miles and to my knowledge the pump hasn't been replaced.

Thanks

racebronco2

Established Member
You still have air in the system.

Remove the hose that connects the intercooler to the reservoir at the reservoir.

Plug the hose fitting on the reservoir where you removed the hose.

Remove the cap.

Fill the reservoir.

Pressurize the reservoir.

Release the pressure once water is flowing out the intercooler.

Connect the hose to the reservoir and fill the reservoir.

Should work like normal.

gleng

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. How should I pressurize the reservoir? I've heard about some people using a compressor nozzle with a rag wrapped around it to form a seal but that doesn't sound pretty lol

mach1gsxr

Established Member
Easier way to get air out is take the top hose that goes to the i/c resevior and the cap off. Blow into the hose with an air hose and try to seal up the extra space to make a good seal.

The air from throughout the system will bubble back out into the resevior.

Hook the top hose back onto the resevior.

Hook up your jumper cable and turn the key on for a second and refill the resevior with more coolant. Repeat this step about 3-4 times until the coolant level doesn't go down anymore.

If you leave the key on too long and the water level goes down to far, you will have to start back over again.

I usually let it run for a few seconds to make sure that it stays cycling and that everything is filled.

gleng

Established Member
Easier way to get air out is take the top hose that goes to the i/c resevior and the cap off. Blow into the hose with an air hose and try to seal up the extra space to make a good seal.

The air from throughout the system will bubble back out into the resevior.

Okay guys so I've tried this method by using both my shop vac pushing air, and my compressor with a nozzle making the best seal that I could with duct tape. I couldn't get the coolant to flow through at all. Any other suggestions?

racebronco2

Established Member
You need low constant pressure. I have a cap with a barbed fitting on it. I connect heater hose to it and blow into the heater hose. You need to hold as much pressure as you can and it will start flowing. Or you could loosen the hose going into the pump, allow the air to escape and once water is coming out tighten the clamp.

You cannot allow the reservoir to run dry at any time or else you will need to start the process over.

gleng

Established Member
Just wanted to let you guys know that I did finally manage to get the system pumping by making a fitting to pressurize from the cap down.

Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread