Intercooler pump question

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
I've noticed that my electrical i/c pump "surges"...what I mean is that it will pump hard for 3 seconds or so and then back off the power (not totally) for 3 seconds and then repeat. It still flows coolant when it "backs off" but obviously not as much (I can see the effects of this surge in the reservoir tank, and feel the intensity difference (i.e. vibration) with my hand on the motor.)
Is this normal for a '00 L or does this indicate I need a new pump b/c this one is weak?

Thanks,
Joshua

I'D WIN

Established Member
Sounds like your pump may be going bad...be careful racing it around town in the present condition. The motor will actually pull timing if it senses an IC Pump failure or lack of performance. You may also have some air in the system which may just need to be purged.

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
It would be a good idea to clean it if you haven't already done so. It's pretty easy. All you need to do is pull it off, remove the impeller/endcap and knock the black dust out of the main housing. By inverting the main housing and taping on the side of it with a wrench worked best for me. You could also buy a new unit off Ebay for 80.00 plus shipping. A buddy mentioned to me the other day that Autozone carries the same (Bosch) pump. I believe he said the cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of 60.00

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
I was just going to buy a new one from Ford thinking you know, $100-120...Guess what they wanted...............$395- ridiculous
I'm gonna try clean it right now as a matter of fact, supposed to go to the track tomorrow. Thanks guys
-Joshua

Users who are viewing this thread