Intercooler pumps - Need help

Stangra

Established Member
Pretty cool. I don't have a degas bottle but makes me wonder if I could buy another lid for my tank to fab something.
Did such a good job with one vacuum cycle that after I filled both my engine coolant and intercooler system, I only had to top things off a couple of ounces or less after driving.

Beercules

Established Member
I just found this thread, but at first glance:
Air bubbles: find a way to put a hand valve at the high point, or even just splice a nipple in and slide a screwdriver in to allow the air out.
Hoses can be necked down slightly for a short distance. basically you lose 'hydraulic head' every inch of smaller diameter hose which shows up as loss in gpm (velocity head)
https://goodcalculators.com/friction-loss-calculator/ (ignore the hazen williams coef. the drop down menu selects for you and changes with material).

Pumps in series increase pressure, pumps in parallel increase flow (there's a little loss when using multiple pumps). I haven't tried it, but it seems to me, with large enough hoses, you would want to run 2 pumps in parallel instead of series. The bilge pump on the curve above has much better flow than 2 stock pumps in parallel. (Think I'm going to try larger hose and google up the best 12v bilge pump).

I'm currently in the process of upgrading line size and finally found someone who makes reducers for the stock pump and tees for the stock degass bottle. However, they have a $25 minimum.
UCBJ-158-BGFN, 1

Also, I somehow managed to skip thermo in school, but I've found these concepts and they're interesting...
Black transfers heat well, both in and out...try putting a Guinness bottle in the freezer for a few minutes. There's a tradeoff when painting a radiator black, it transfers heat better, but there's more 'stuff' to transfer through.

Heat transfer has no time component...meaning heat transfers instantaneously...meaning flow is king for heat rejection. And reading through technical HVAC websites, they do want restrictions in the coils because it causes turbulence which ensures molecules in the middle of the water column rotate out to come into contact with the metal to transfer out heat energy (enthalpy).

Users who are viewing this thread