intercooler reservoir bypass modification

srdigital

Established Member
thought i'd share my (ugly as sin) intercooler bypass mod. it's akin to the 13/14 GT500 setup. i could have absolutely made this prettier if i had planned it back when i built the car, or swapped to a different crossover setup . . . at least it's effective! there was serious cavitation from coolant violently entering the reservoir and finally had the pump air-lock during a commute. this modification eliminated the introduction of air via cavitation in the tank, and i imagine increased the flow rate some due to the parallel piping and reduction of a choke point.

a little info on my setup - whipple 2.3L, j2fab intercooler flow mod, stock reservoir, stock pump (next mod is upgrading this to the GT500 pump, i just need to fab a bracket), gordsford heat exchanger, and 1" bungs/hose on everything but the pump and res.

a couple tees were added before and after the reservoir, and a 1" bypass hose now runs parallel with the reservoir tank. the reduction in diameter at the tank, although slight, aids in the primary flow path being through the bypass.

my charged air temps are much improved, respond and recover significantly faster than before, and no longer have a swirly toilet of a reservoir tank ramming air into the flow path. i've seen some people have luck 'clocking' the pump differently, but all that does is prevent airlock, not address the introduction of air which still reduces efficiency of heat transfer. other's have used an aftermarket reservoir tank with a baffle or screen - whatever keeps air from being introduced works, this is just an alternative.

i know there's further room for upgrading/improving the system, especially with a pump with 1" terminals, but thought it was worth posting an effective example. cost me about $35 in tees and random pre-molded hose from o'riley's and had the hose clamps already.

Attachments

• IMG_20221103_145750.jpg
    IMG_20221103_145750.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 102

Users who are viewing this thread