Intercooler reservoir empty...

davbrucas

Banned
Driving to play golf today I smelled coolant from my car but it wasnt overheating. Get to where I was going I popped the hood and noticed that the IC reservoir is empty. :( I had a belt come apart 2wks ago and it may have put a hole in one of the hoses. I know for a fact that the reservoir was full yesterday as I washed the car and the engine compartment and there was coolant in it. Cant figure out how it all drained today. :shrug: Anyway, will it cause any damage driving without fluid in there? I know that it will be a pig under boost.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
davbrucas said:
.... Anyway, will it cause any damage driving without fluid in there? I know that it will be a pig under boost.

I wouldn't boost at all without a properly-functioning intercooler system

normal driving should be safe as long as you disable pump (connector, fuse or relay), otherwise you'll burn it up by running dry

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Pull the relay that is in the small black box next to your inlet tube, mounted on the fender.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
JB, would it be better to pull the fuse instead of the relay? I have wondered this before. In any case, do not drive the car with the pump running...if you have not already burned it up that is. I honestly wouldn't even drive the car until it is fixed. The IAT2's can get hot enough when you have a working intercooler. Especially in stop and go traffic.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
That is what I thought. I couldn't an issue from doing it via the relay.

davbrucas

Banned
Thanks for the input guys. I pulled the only 10amp fuse in the underhood fuse box. Will have to recheck if it was #19. As far as driving, I have to drive it to work today and I drove it 60miles yesterday with the pump running dry. I assume it is toast now. I did not get it in boost during that time. I will spend tomorrow looking to see if a hose is cut.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Honestly, the IC pump uses a magnetic drive coupling and is isolated from the coolant itself. I don't think it cares if there's coolant or not, so don't worry about harming it if the coolant is dry.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I doubt if it hurt the engine, the computer will pull timing and richen the fuel mixture when it detected the abnormally high IAT2's , with the exception if maybe you were driving it extremly hard.
But if you have to drive it again for some reason before you fix it, bring your predator and log the IAT2's to be on the safe side.

Users who are viewing this thread