Intercooler Reservoir installed!....56k forget about it.

Hey everyone, I just completed my PFab intercooler reservoir installation today. I had my wife help me as it was kinda tough doing it when I only have two hands.

First I removed the plastic panel, there were 4 push-pins that took a bit of time to get unscrewed properly without bending it. Then I removed the 2 8mm bolts that held the stock one. Then the hardest part was removing the 2 hoses that were connected. Basically what I did was had my wife squeeze the hose clamps with pliers and tried to pull it off but it felt like it was stuck with glue. So I sprayed some WD40 and it made it ohh so much easier, it slid right off!

DCP_4730.jpg

The top one was easy to take off, however, it's the bottom one you need to worry about it was a bitch. But eventually it came off leading to some antifreeze spilled all out of the hose, but that was okay.

DCP_4732.jpg

the 2 hoses.

DCP_4739.jpg

DCP_4733.jpg

Wow just look at that size difference....

DCP_4731.jpg

I noticed that I had to place the bracket through this so I had to remove my K&N FIPK bracket because it wouldn't fit. Next week I am going to remove the K&N FIPK heat shield completely as it is only in the way!

For some reason when I removed the 13mm radiator bolt, it was threaded in and I removed it but when I tried to put it back in, there was no thread and I'm like what in the world, I could've sworn there was thread and I unscrewed it. So right now it's just hanging so I need to go buy a nut and screw it back in next week, I hope this is OK.

DCP_4744.jpg

I hope it's OK to be hanging like this for a while until I get a nut to screw the 13mm bolt back on tightly.

DCP_4749.jpg

DCP_4756.jpg

I used 50% of this to re-fill my tank with 50% Ice/Water.

DCP_4746.jpg

DCP_4747.jpg

Here it is in action.

DCP_4748.jpg

It's so cold it's starting to condensate.

I just started the car, revved the engine a few, I didn't get to take it out for a drive yet. The ice melted immediately.

DCP_4752.jpg

The finished product.

DCP_4751.jpg

DCP_4750.jpg

Approx installation time: 30-45 minutes (not including the 2 hours I spent trying to figure out how to remove the hose and go and buy the antifreeze)
If you guys like this post, I'll do the same when I do my next installation for the Heat Exchanger and other installs.

P.S. I know somebody is bound to mention this to me. Yes, I know about the f*cked up supercharger snout that I have (I discovered it a few months after I bought my car used--I was going to swap the pulley and I removed the pulley guard to that ugly ass snout). I am pulling it as soon as my intercooler bolts come in and swapping it with a ported eaton that I already bought. :beer:

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
That looks awesome man.. The welds on that tank are incredible!

That mixture kind of looks like mountain dew with ice cubes in it.. Maybe you can get someone to have a sip :D

Last edited:

PDubs

Established Member
Great write up. I'd be interested to see one for a H/E, especially for a LFP one. :)

speedster356

Established Member
hey.... what kinda Air intake is in this car? its so clean and ive been looking for this kit for my 99 gt. k&n i know, but what housing is it in? thanks.... MIKE>

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Does the box work in conjunction with the stock heat exchanger? What did it run you and where did you get it?

black01mustang

a new z06 will be mine
Established Member
I was talking to a friend about one of those and running a coil through it from the ac compressor you would get 40 degree water but not sure how practical this is

speedster356- My intake is K&N FIPK Gen II. I don't think you can purchase the same one I have for the GT, because on the box it says only for 03-04 Cobra.

Jdaniel- You don't need an aftermarket heat exchanger in order to run this. However, I'm currently on the stock pulley so I'm not sure with your set-up.... I see that you are pushing big numbers so I think it would be good to buy an aftermarket heat exchanger, to be on the safe side. Nothings wrong with more cooling mods. I bought it from Precision Fabrication

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Hey guys, I hate askins a simple question but the only stupid one is the one that is never asked. I have an 04 COBRA & I wanted to know what does this after market intercooler fliud resivour do? I am assuming it hold more fluid so it allows better heat absorption. But, its metal so it also conducts heat more than plastic would. Just curious guys, inform me. Thanks!

FordFreak

Established Member
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
Hey guys, I hate askins a simple question but the only stupid one is the one that is never asked. I have an 04 COBRA & I wanted to know what does this after market intercooler fliud resivour do? I am assuming it hold more fluid so it allows better heat absorption. But, its metal so it also conducts heat more than plastic would. Just curious guys, inform me. Thanks!

It conducts heat from the fluid, which is what you want. The passing air while driving takes it away from the aluminum.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
Will that new tank help with the heat soak from the Eaton? It seems like a good idea. Also, are the louvers on the stock '03-'04 Cobra hood always open like that, or did you modify them? Wouldn't rain get down in there and get your engine components wet?

Last edited:

FordFreak

Established Member
pwnt04 said:
Will that new tank help with the heat soak from the Eaton? It seems like a good idea. Also, are the louvers on the stock '03-'04 Cobra hood always open like that, or did you modify them? Wouldn't rain get down in there and get your engine components wet?

Yes, it allows A LOT of heat to evacuate from under the hood. It doesnt come stock. You need to cut off the flaps.
When water rolls through the vents it drips between the radiator and engine so nothing really gets wet.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
jdk said:
That looks awesome man.. The welds on that tank are incredible!

That mixture kind of looks like mountain dew with ice cubes in it.. Maybe you can get someone to have a sip :D

you mean its not used to keep your drink!!??? :uh oh:

jk

but man that looks nice :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread