Intercooler

Matt03

Established Member
I was thinking does anyone think that if you plan to run around 14 pounds of boost you should also get a aftermarket intercooler? I was thinking HKS.

david smilovic

Established Member
These are not only differant,there night and day.One deals with a 150 cold air kit which I agree could be worthless or worse loose HP.We have a definate need for an oversized 3 row aluminum air to water I.C. 1st of there only 50% as effective as air to air to start and 2nd its TINY!!!.
A Spearco universal air to air has worked with 20+ Lbs of boost this SC leaves alot to be desired even though we sell the Magnason unit for GM and have had great results 120-150 rrwhp increase with headers /exhast and the excellent tunning our Engineer does it works great on a Vette 10.5:1 compression we add a mild blower cam of our own design and 5 lbs at that compression lays down great #'s for a comfy daily driver.
I am switcthing over to a ATI witha 15 Lb. pulley and have rigged up an air to air intercooler thats very large and efficient.The motor will be square3.70x3.70 and will measire out to 320 CI.and if I can find the right tuner it will lay down in the 630 rrwhp level coming from a Ford aluminum racing block,so I get to save another 75 Lbs. or so BETTER handling YEAH!!!! I will also lighten the rear by about 50 Lbs.
All together I plan my 2 seater to weigh in 220 lbs. lighter and thats with spare and jack,for racing out they come just the tire iron in case someone pisses me off,and I would guess another 35+ lbs ther and a1/4 tank of 109 sunnoco race fuel with my handy dandy 5 gallon jug for when I start running on fumes.The car will red line at 7500 rpm and final tunning will tell us where to go this valve train is good for 8000+ rpm.
This is my pet project and will not be made for public production we are still a GM shop and will stay that way so please dont inquire about pricing etc.It will also have all the JDM bolt ons Kooks headers 1 5/8"/Borla cat back/catted H pipe/pulleys which I may just sell if I go with the ATI there will be lots of custom fab work involved but I will make templates for all custom brackets to make them available for the AZ.Mustang Owners Club.
Anyway wish me luck I will do what it takes to get to 650 rrwhp and at least 625 lbs.of Tqe at the wheels as well.
I will also push the motor and see what 20 lbs. will do and how the Aluminum block holds up.I will also test an NX kit if I use the Pro Charger I will run a 100 hp shot from about 2200(as low as I safely can shoot it) and have kick out 600 rpm after full boost about 4100 rpm I just want to fill up that little gap off throttle as best I can.The graph will look wild and perhaps I will start with a 75 shot could be sufficient,got a friend on the road running stock pulleys all the bolt ons and a 100 Lb.dry/+ a 100 hp shot wet its so fast its stupid but not near a safe state of tune imho.I will also run cold densos the same range as ngk TR6's ansd 4:10 gears.
So wish me luck if I can get a good tune I will drive to NM or San Diego where Ive heard of 2 real old fashioned Dyno tuners,I hate mail order,I fix enough GM pcm's weekly that if you add the found power specially the 80-120 ponnies from forced air induction I develop more HP monthly than John Force RUNS.I want this to be the 03'Poster child even though other than some minor suspension changes it will loose the Cobra motor and yes I know I could have gotten an 01 Stang and done it up but 1 drive had me sold I love my 2 ton Tess and the motor will be done in 10 days tops now if JDM gets me my chip and does a quick turnaround on re-burns I should be on the road in 21 days tops,all i know my bolt ons are 4 weeks late,I hope they straighten up and fly right in the GM community you would be a former entity.Thanks for reading my book I'm just real excited about this motor and the car its popping into.Thanks David Smilovic

ZXnVS

Established Member
Did you say that air-to-water intercoolers are only 50% as efficient as air-to-air? Intuitively I would think the opposite would be true.

Users who are viewing this thread