Interesting - Ford Die Cast Mustang

Detroit_Doc

Established Member
My girlfriend works at Ford HQ. They have a shop and they sell very detailed 1:18th die cast models of many of the ford vehicles. It's got working suspension, and sway bars, etc. It looks like they went a very long way to make it accurate.

The box only says Ford on it, so it looks like Ford is directly involved in making these.

Here is the curious part. I popped the hood, and guess what. It's got a blower on it and says "400 HP" on the valve covers. Why would they go out of their way to mould and engine that doesn't exist?

Probably doesn't mean anything, but I thought it was interesting.

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
what is the model of? an 05 GT? We're missing some parts of the story here Doc

Detroit_Doc

Established Member
It just says "Mustang GT" on the box. It doesn't specify the year.

I just thought it was odd with all the detail they went into on the car to put some "non-existant" engine into it. But sure enough it's a blown 400 HP engine under the hood.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Thats a model of the original concept. It had a 400hp supercharged engine in it. The Ford die-cast kits you see in dealerships are made by beanstalk, and run about 18-25 bucks. Another company makes much nicer kits, like the Bullitt and some edge cobras. The company is called AutoArt and they run about 50-60 bucks, with cloth seatbelts, carpeting, and lots of other details. You can find tons of each on ebay. They both should have production 05 models shortly, and are the main two companies that get Ford licencing that make decent models. The toys r' us ones like Ertl and matchbox tend to be lousy.

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
damn Kev B, you got all the answers. hey, what are the winning numbers for powerball? i could really really use the cash.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
heh, I am big time into models, heres the type I like though. This is a 1:8 die-cast Pocher F40(just under 2 feet long) which the kit costs about $800 alone. This guy added about 2000 extra pieces to it for 'added detail' including swapping out the basic plastic motor for an aluminum one. And yes every bolt you see IS a bolt. :p You should see the REALLY super detailed stuff out there, its mind boggling. The F40 here is considered one of Pocher's more simple kits......

http://www.scaleautoworks.com/transkitfinishedphotos1.html

Last edited:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
And if you REALLY REALLY want to see models, these guys are pretty much the most capeable group on the planet. Spend some time here and check out the autos and all-metal airplane models. This stuff is FRIGGIN INSANE.

http://www.fineartmodels.com/e/model/auto/index.htm

One teaser pic of what you can get in a metal model for $32,000.00.

ssk_12.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread