Interior Lights Are Out - Wire Is Touching Metal Somewhere

vipergts281

Established Member
Interior lights went out a few weeks ago. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Put a new one in, blew instantly. So I drove around for a few days with no interior lights.

Randomly decided to try another fuse. Worked...for a few days then blew again.

So I'm guessing a wire is touching metal somewhere.

Anyone have a wiring diagram so I know where to look? Any tips to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Btw, approaching 180,000 miles. :burnout:

big dad

Established Member
I can't remember if the Cobra coupes had lighted mirrors in the visors or not but that is where I would start if it does.

vipergts281

Established Member
They do. And you know what, now that you mention it, the passenger side mirror would only light up if you pressed on the visor in a certain spot.

I'll look there tomorrow.

Thanks for triggering my memory. :beer:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I have this same issue with my Grand Prix. I've been driving around without interior lamps in that car for 3+ years. I pulled down the visors but couldn't find any pinched wires. I need to take down the entire headliner and look for black spots on the roof metal.

big dad

Established Member
I used to run into that as a tech from time to time. I think you're gonna find some wires chafing on the metal portion of the roof brace. Good luck, it should be fairly obvious if you pull the visor assembly down.

vipergts281

Established Member
I used to run into that as a tech from time to time. I think you're gonna find some wires chafing on the metal portion of the roof brace. Good luck, it should be fairly obvious if you pull the visor assembly down.
Do you remember how to remove it? I just tried and didn't get it out.

I removed the 2 screws and then started pulling. But it hardly moves. Obviously the wire is going through there. Not sure if I need to just pull harder or I'm missing something.

Did a search and can only find stuff on removing convertible ones which are slightly different.

EDIT: Looks like I have to remove the A pillar, then pop the corner of the headliner down, and then there is a connector under the headliner that I can unclip.

Just tried, the a-pillar took 2 seconds to get off. The headliner, however, won't budge. Going by a quick search, it looks like it's glued on and it's a major pita to get off.

So far nothing obvious in regards to any frayed wires.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
Looked again at the mirror and all around the trunk area where the wires go. Nothing obvious so far. Thought the trunk would be a good spot since it has been opened and closed a lot over the life of the car.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
UPDATE: I put in a new fuse and everything is working fine so far. Been about a week.

I did this before and it blew instantly. Then waited a few days and tried again, worked...for a few days and then blew again. Hopefully it won't happen this time.

Users who are viewing this thread