Intermitent thrown-out bearing squeal

Snoker

Established Member
I have 5,000 miles on my 03. On two occasions, last on New Years day, I have heard what I feel is thrown-out bearing squeal. I have never thrashed or slipped the clutch during hard acceration. Seems to occur when the clutch pedal is either being pushed down or in the process of being released. I have only experienced the sound after a lengthy drive, ie over 25 or 30 miles one way. However, I have noticed for sometime (last 2 or 3 months) that the clutch feels notchy at times, like the cable might be dragging. I lubricated the cable everywhere I could get to it, but no help. The notchy feel is not there all the time, but I am now thinking it may have something to do with the noise I am occasionally hearing, probably the thrown-out bearing.

Any one have similar symptoms or suggestions on possible diagnosis.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
sounds like a TOB to me. Mine was doing the same, squealing when pushing clutch in. Took it in for service they replaced the TOB and clutch. Now the nightmare starts. When I picked up the car from the dealer, I noticed now had some clutch chatter and the clutch was engaging about 2mm off the floor. Brought it back again and now I am waiting for a new flywheel, another TOB, and another clutch. Hopefully this time the dealer gets it right. Good luck and I hope your dealer experence is better than mine.

Snoker

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I too hate to take it to the dealership. So far, the few minor issues i have had addressed by the dealer have been successful. But this is somewhat major. But I really have no choice. Have got to use the warranty and hope for the best.

It will be interesting to see if they opt to replace only the TOB or go for the whole system, ie clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. My belief is they will try TOB only first.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by Snoker
............However, I have noticed for sometime (last 2 or 3 months) that the clutch feels notchy at times, like the cable might be dragging. I lubricated the cable everywhere I could get to it, but no help. The notchy feel is not there all the time, but I am now thinking it may have something to do with the noise I am occasionally hearing, probably the thrown-out bearing.

Any one have similar symptoms or suggestions on possible diagnosis.

The inconsistent clutch feeling in my car was due to that over-engineered plastic (you'll know what im talking about if you take yours out) clutch quadrant. It's allegedly self adjusting. But in mine it used to "self adjust" itself out of whack. I get a more positive and quicker clutch action with the Steeda Q/R clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. It's the RED one on their site, not the blue one. The stock cable works fine. Hope this helps.

gary

2003 Cobra

Established Member
Yup, I agree. The stock p.o.s. quadrant would need adjusting every time I stepped on the clutch hard during a harsh shift. If I shifted from first into second with a powershift, third would catch at the floor or grind. I got rid of the stock quadrant and also put in the Steeda "quick release" quadrant along with a UPR manual firewall adjuster. What a difference!

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by Snoker
Gary,

I may try the new quadrant U suggest. Wonder if dealership Service would install when working on TOB?

They might, depending on the dealership, but I doubt it. it's an easy 45 minute install. if you can scoot yourself under your dash, you can do it. if i can get my 230 lb fat ass under the dash to do it, then anyone can. If you do get the quadrant, don't follow the directions, let me know and I can give you the Cliff notes version. You don't have to lift the car like they suggest.

gary

Users who are viewing this thread