Intermittant grindy type sound

keroseneburner

Established Member
03 cobra with a new engine and about 5k on new mcleod clutch/flywheel/ TOB ran great till the other day. Started getting a grindy noise intermittently but seems to be related to transmission spinning up speed...if that makes sense. First I think TOB so I pull tranny and replace tob non noise for 20 miles or so now grindy noise is back. Along with this the shifter engagement seems crisper and more positive. I will try and get a vid of it.

keroseneburner

Established Member
It only seems to happen in first or reverse and at slow speeds. I drained the tranny when i took it out and disnt find any metal. The pilot bearing was the solid brass type and looked good too.

Just drove it again, the noise seems to start when I depress the clutch pedal and continue as the trans is spinning down. It also did it as I was slowing from other gears and down shifted as the synchro spun up the transmisison to mesh from second to first.

Last edited:

keroseneburner

Established Member
I talked to a trans rebuild guy who only does mustang gearboxes, he thinks the tower the throwout bearing rides on may be broken in the trans. Apparently fairly common. I eyeballed it while it was out but pull on it or spin it.

Users who are viewing this thread