Intermittent Idiot Brake Light??

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
It's weird but when I brake hard once in a while the brake light on the gauge pod lights up for about 2 seconds. It happens especially when the brakes are cold and I'm going down an incline or jamming on the brakes.

Fluid level is full. Anyone else notice this problem? I think there was a post on this item like 4 months ago. :shrug:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
The sensor for brake fluid level often is set very high in the master cylinder reservoir-- giving a false low reading even if your fluid is above the minimum line. Add a little fresh fluid and see what happens.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Time for new pads. When the fluid gets low because the pistons must be pushed so far in for the thin pads to contact rotor, the level sensor trips the light. I needed brakes at 5,000 miles.:nonono:

Last edited:

TDS-03

Established Member
Possible it could be one of the ABS sensors. Had similar issue after my car was only about 2 months old. If you check the pads and the fluid and all look ok, then might be worth taking it in and see if thats the prob.

cobra101

Established Member
it happened to me also a few months ago. There was a thread about it. It most likely is just low brake fluid. I topped it off (even though it was only a 1/4 lower than the line) and the light stopped coming on. I will have the brake pads looked at soon, I am sure they are getting low.

03torchvert

Established Member
I have the exact same problem when hard braking. The service guy at ford said it sounds like the sensor that reads the pedals depth is going bad or for some reason my pedal is going deeper than it should. I hate to take it to the dealer and let them f---- something up so I am waiting for the brakes to just go out.:D

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I've now had 4 Fords with brake fluid reservoir sensors. Everyone required at least 2 topups of the reservoir before any of the pads were worn out to prevent the light from coming on while braking.

Users who are viewing this thread