Intermittent Smoke issue

konastang12

Hey all, new to the forums...tried searching but couldn't find a similar issue given my circumstances.
I have a 2012 GT with the JLT Plastic CAI, Borla S-Type axleback, Lethal Performance Off-road x with their OTA pipes, and Custom computer tune from the local mustang guy around town. My issue is this: maybe two weeks ago, I noticed a cloud of white/grey smoke floating from the rear of my car as I came to a stop..definitely had an odor but not of burnt oil. I've actually never smelled a similar scent from a car. Since then I've been paying attention, but it's so odd and random I can't figure out what makes it smoke yet. Sometimes coming to a stop will do it several times in a row, other times not. Sometimes under light acceleration after decel, other times not. My wife was behind me and said it only came from the driver's side pipe. My car typically uses a little oil through the 10k mile interval, and that hasn't increased. I've only added Coolant once since I got it almost a year ago, and that level never dropped. Car has 61k miles on it, I always use 93 octane fuel. I'm really curious as to what this may be; I can't afford to have this car go down as its my daily. Thanks

BrianH87

Established Member
Smoke can be a very difficult problem to diagnose without other symptoms. White smoke is usually coolant. Grey smoke is usually oil burning. It can be blue too. It's probably not a big deal, but I would take it in.

5lho

Established Member
Hey all, new to the forums...tried searching but couldn't find a similar issue given my circumstances.
I have a 2012 GT with the JLT Plastic CAI, Borla S-Type axleback, Lethal Performance Off-road x with their OTA pipes, and Custom computer tune from the local mustang guy around town. My issue is this: maybe two weeks ago, I noticed a cloud of white/grey smoke floating from the rear of my car as I came to a stop..definitely had an odor but not of burnt oil. I've actually never smelled a similar scent from a car. Since then I've been paying attention, but it's so odd and random I can't figure out what makes it smoke yet. Sometimes coming to a stop will do it several times in a row, other times not. Sometimes under light acceleration after decel, other times not. My wife was behind me and said it only came from the driver's side pipe. My car typically uses a little oil through the 10k mile interval, and that hasn't increased. I've only added Coolant once since I got it almost a year ago, and that level never dropped. Car has 61k miles on it, I always use 93 octane fuel. I'm really curious as to what this may be; I can't afford to have this car go down as its my daily. Thanks

grey smoke like this on a car with cats is often excess fuel. Occasionally, I've had a partial start and on refire the big slug of fuel bangs away in there for a few seconds, producing this big cloud of grey smoke.

5lho

Established Member
I was thinking maybe rich, but out of only one pipe?

I wouldn't get distracted. The pipes are connected so, let's figure out what's causing the smoke first. You may be looking at a tune problem. Pulling the plugs and analyzing them would be my next step.

Users who are viewing this thread