Internet problem

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
I've been having some trouble with xbox live lately and I've come to the conclusion it's not a speed issue. 6.79mb down, .47mb up. Not great but should work for XBL. I think my connection is going down every 3-5 minutes for a few seconds. Is there a network monitoring tool that can show this?

txyaloo

Established Member
Just open a command prompt on your PC and run a ping -t google.com. It'll ping google until you close the window. If you're losing connection, you'll start seeing packets get dropped and it'll say "request timed out".

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
More interesting stuff:

When I lag out of a game I get "request timed out" followed by a bunch of "destination host unreachable". Does that mean anything different?

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I wonder if a new Modem / Router would fix it?

I had a bad tap on the pole a year or so back, doing a similar issue. took them for ever to find it. they replaced alot of old cable with new cable tho.

txyaloo

Established Member
More interesting stuff:

When I lag out of a game I get "request timed out" followed by a bunch of "destination host unreachable". Does that mean anything different?

Nope. It means the same thing. You could try connecting the xbox directly to the cable modem to eliminate the router. If it's still doing it, there is nothing you can do to fix the problem because it's on the ISP's side of the line.

Users who are viewing this thread