Intricacies of the EEC

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Have any of you ever notice how your car will feel really strong for part of a trip then feel flat 10 mins later. The pitch of your exhaust will change speratically. I have owned two mustanges, one EEC-IV on EEC-V, both identical characteristics. If I put the AC on my car feel noticably slower, and still feels bad after I turn it off? If I get on it when the car feels strong, afterwards the car feels weeker. I have driven all types of cars. Only fords seems to have this quirck, except maybe brand new ones. Camaros will feel the same after a 200 mile trip. I really wish I new what was going on with the car's computer. Is it pulling timing? Adding fuel? Why does it feel so inconsistant, and how in the world would I go about changing this. Any experts out there, or can anyone point me in an informative direction?

Dino S.

Established Member
i've kinda noticed the same thing. But after 4 hours of straight dyno pulls putting down relatively consistent numbers, i concluded it was in my head.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I've noticed that too, sometimes it feels fast, other times it doesn't. Not sure if it's a computer quirk or if it's in my mind:shrug:

MidNight Snake

Established Member
No, its not in your head. Something is going on. I just want to know what and why. Have you ever driven an LS1 for any length of time. Unfortunately I placed many an hour behind a GFs and that thing always felt the same.

Last edited:

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
I've noticed this too especially after an hour on the highway. I always just concluded it to be the velocitation effect, where you've been going so fast for so long that accelerating rapidly doesn't really feel as fast as it should be. I notice this more in the Cobra more than any other car I've driven though. However the car feeling slower must be in my head as many times I can get 3rd to chirp under WOT when I thought my car was feeling slow and this is with stock gears.

I'm sure its just in our heads.

Paul

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Then why isn't it as noticiable in other cars whether they be faster or slower. Also, that wouldnt explain a difference in exhaust pitch, that would be do to a/f or timing.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
If there actually is something going on with the computer I bet any competent dyno tuning shop would have the answer to this.

Paul

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
well with the A/C, theres an extra strain on the motor, thats why you never race with your A/C on or dyno it, it will be less powerful and slower. As far as i know, there's no computer issue with this. Someone just recently said that they changed the front two O2's and that helped with the driveability issue a lot.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
The computer does adjust timing based on engine temps, but it should not change much. If anything it is in your head. have any of you guys ever been to the track? Because if u have u can see how consistently your car really runs especially MPH wise. Its just a feeling, u get after driving your car for a while. Me for example when my tranny broke i was starting to feel that my car wasnt that fast anymore, but its been a month and i should have it back on the road soon, and after driving an S-10 for a month it is giong to feel like the most hard core animal ever. When u go to the track u can see that ever run even one after the other is within .5mph of each other.

Users who are viewing this thread