intro and first track night

steve99

Established Member
figured id finally post on here after i got to the track for the first time with this car. i had it for a few months now in which i learned how to drive a stick on the way home from the dealer, but thats another story. i dont feel like scanning the slip but heres my best from tonight:

r/t: 1.056
60: 2.266
1/8: 9.238
mph: 77.80
1/4: 14.213
mph: 99.63

the car is stock except for catback and cai. this time sound half decent or what can i work on b4 i slap some gears on it. which hopefully will be sometime soon, and anyone know of a decent shop to install gears around pittsburgh? :beer:

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
very nice, hey man, on your densecharger do you have the filter aiming DOWN(2bends from MAF) or foward(1bend-MAF-) ?? ppl told me that i should run it 1 bend ?? also this is what John told me...
''John, the alternate filter positioning isn't the tilt, which doesn't affect performance, but the filter positioning accomplished by removing the sleeve that the filter is now mounted to from the 'down' pipe, remounting the filter to the same sleeve, and then inserting the sleeve straight through the back of the cover plate which eliminates the 2nd ell pipe and tunes the system differently. The most popular position on the 01' Cobras is the 'down' position utilizing both ells.

John De Molet

Cobra4pt6

Banned
so the filter how does the filter supposed to fit when theres one bend, b/c it's too long? does anyone have any pics of it with one bend? which way does the filter aim with one bend?

Last edited:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Originally posted by steve99
figured id finally post on here after i got to the track for the first time with this car. i had it for a few months now in which i learned how to drive a stick on the way home from the dealer, but thats another story. i dont feel like scanning the slip but heres my best from tonight:

r/t: 1.056
60: 2.266
1/8: 9.238
mph: 77.80
1/4: 14.213
mph: 99.63

the car is stock except for catback and cai. this time sound half decent or what can i work on b4 i slap some gears on it. which hopefully will be sometime soon, and anyone know of a decent shop to install gears around pittsburgh? :beer:

Someone who knows more than me about drag racing can chime in, but there is some time hiding in 60'. That's one area you want to work on. I forget what each 1/10th off of your 60' translates into though.

What were you shifting at and what did you launch at?

Edit spelling

Last edited:

99SVTAddict

Established Member
Yup, you should be able to get a 2.0 60ft with street tires.
13.8 or so in the 1/4. The first time there is always the hardest.

You should be shifting at 6800RPM's to get your best times....
Launch all depends on how the track is prepped...with decent prep you should be launching around 2500-3000RPM's and slipping the clutch.

Welcome to the site.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
If youre launching very hard remember to pray to the half shaft gods before each run. Im thinking about taking mine to the track Friday night for the first time.

99SVTAddict

Established Member
Just looked at the car....nice ghost flames. Thought about it for awhile....but decided I'd rather spend the money on the new motor going in.

Looks good though:coolman: ....just begging for some nice chrome wheels though.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Originally posted by 99SVTAddict
Just looked at the car....nice ghost flames. Thought about it for awhile....but decided I'd rather spend the money on the new motor going in.

Looks good though:coolman: ....just begging for some nice chrome wheels though.

Come on, man. Didn't you know, flames are the equivalent of a 100 shot? Good bang for the buck... kind of like yellow stickers lowering your ET by .5 secs!

j/k - they look great and tastefully understated.

steve99

Established Member
yeah i figured i need to work on my 60' time but hopefully i'll be gettin out alot more now. also the flames were on the car when i bought it, i wasnt sure about them at first, but they've grown on me and i've gotten nothin but good comments on them so they work ;-)

oh and the densecharger is facing mostly downward on mine :thumbsup:

tms217

Established Member
Sounds to me like you are down on power... I dont think I have ever seen that low of MPH on a fixed 99 or 01 Cobra.. Do you know if your car has the fix?

steve99

Established Member
i was wondering the same thing but wasnt sure exactly how to check. Should i call up an svt dealer and ask or would calling svt directly be better?

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
1-800-Ford-SVT
How hot was it when you ran? That can make a difference in horsepower
You can check the lower intake too, near the alternator will be a green or blue dot if the work has been done. There might also be a sticker indicating a PCM reflash and the date (although mine only has the green dot, no sticker). I would just call SVT to be sure - all you need is your VIN.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Originally posted by tms217
Sounds to me like you are down on power... I dont think I have ever seen that low of MPH on a fixed 99 or 01 Cobra.. Do you know if your car has the fix?

Wouldn't that largely depend on where he was shifting at? Not trying to be an a$$, just trying to figure out how it all works.

Users who are viewing this thread