Introduction ... and odd tire pressure loss on my GT350R

oldbmwfan

Established Member
Looks like the tire failure was on a seam from the photo. Sorry to hear about this. I hope it all gets back together soon so you can enjoy that awesome beast!

Good eye; I didn't notice it at the time but I think you're correct.

I'll push for a new sensor, thanks for the input there.

oldbmwfan

Established Member
Awesome BMW BTW :)
Thanks! At 85 HP and wearing 165 tires, it's a slightly different experience than the R. ;-)

Can still get around, though:
30369942526_762295b6ae_k.jpg

-tammer

cluscher

Established Member
Jeesh. Even Peter North would be impressed by the amount of white goop in there. :)

At least this didn't happen at speed, on track. Good to see everything moving forward.

Dude, you KILL me. Almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one!

oldbmwfan

Established Member
Resolution:

I did get the wheel back (it was fine) with a new tire mounted, and it's on the car. It was cold and rainy the last couple days, so I didn't get to drive it until tonight. I got a nice 40 mile run on it. All good.

Fat rubber. Hard to believe this is a front tire.
30537398706_533446472d_k.jpg

When a wheel/tire in the back of your X5 increases the value by ~70% ...
29939886463_6445bec155_k.jpg

Retail on the front tire is listed at $613 on my invoice; I paid nothing as it was indeed the cut bead. TPMS working fine, wheels completely unmarked. KUDOS to the folks at Fox Ford Lincoln for doing a great job and not marking anything up!

In case anyone didn't know, the R is a frickin' adrenaline IV drip, and it is just constantly begging to go faster. Keeping my license will be hard.

-tammer

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Glad to hear everything worked out! Sucks that the driving weather is coming to an end soon here in northern US, but enjoy it while you can. Im getting my N4SM 6GR replicas mounted with tires tomorrow so Im not running a R compound cup tire on the street as the cooler temps become the normal

oldbmwfan

Established Member
Indeed; my friend at Ford Performance mentioned one of the reasons they won't build/ ship from November to April is that the R tires will crack under load if the temperatures are below ~25F.

I have a heated shop space where I plan to put the car for the winter nap; if I need to keep it in my (unheated) home garage, it will go up on stands. Or maybe I should track down some F1-style tire blankets ... ;-)

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Indeed; my friend at Ford Performance mentioned one of the reasons they won't build/ ship from November to April is that the R tires will crack under load if the temperatures are below ~25F.

I have a heated shop space where I plan to put the car for the winter nap; if I need to keep it in my (unheated) home garage, it will go up on stands. Or maybe I should track down some F1-style tire blankets ... ;-)

They certianly can. I know a lot of C7 Z06s had this problem. I'll be keeping my wheels in my house this winter and the R is being stored elsewhere since my garage is unheated and needs to be re-done honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread