Introduction ... and odd tire pressure loss on my GT350R

oldbmwfan

Established Member
Hi all,

I just typed out a LONG intro post, and lost it. :-( So this one will be shorter. I'm a long-time BMW geek who has been more and more impressed with what Ford is doing lately. While I still have some German iron floating around, including my E36 race car, I picked up a 2014 Fiesta ST in the spring, and in May I ordered a GT350R--which I took delivery of about a month ago. Lightning Blue, no stripes - fantastic machine. And my very first new car. :)

Here are the obligatory delivery shots:

29055794673_07c16a2276_z.jpg

29611576386_8f13878105_z.jpg

As you can see, I picked it up with 4.4 miles on the clock. It hadn't even been washed (which was how I wanted it). Now, I have been pretty busy in the weeks since. Work travel, got married ... you know, little things. ;-) So I was very excited on Sunday to drive the R to Milwaukee. The trip had two purposes - to show the car to one of my BMW geek friends up there (who has a twin-turbo LS1 in his E28 535i, putting ~505 hp to the wheels), and to drop off my '68 BMW 1600-2 to sleep for the winter in his shop.

Unfortunately, we didn't get there. As we were cruising slowly up I-94 in moderate traffic, about 10 miles from home--wife driving the BMW and me in the Shelby--I had a sudden loss of pressure in the LF tire. The TPMS came on at 20psi, then quickly dropped to 18 psi. Fortunately we were approaching an exit, so I jumped off the highway and got to a safe parking spot with the monitor showing ~5-6 psi in the tire. Not sure if that's bad enough to trash the sidewall, but we may have bigger concerns (read on).

Here we are ... most people seeing this picture wouldn't guess it's the brand new car that is immobilized!
29774337283_d2638470f7_k.jpg

I assumed there had been a puncture, as the pressure loss was sudden and I haven't hit any potholes (and I am the only person to have driven the car so far). But as I examined the tire and felt around each groove, the tread, and sidewalls, I couldn't find any trace of a hole or foreign object. I was unwilling to use the trunk-mounted compressor and sealant, because that stuff will build up and ruin an otherwise-repairable tire. It was a nice day, so I called Ford Roadside Assistance for a tow.

Unfortunately, when the tow truck arrived (flatbed), the driver wasn't comfortable trying to load such a low car (and he didn't have ramps or boards, which I had confirmed with his dispatcher he would). After a 2nd truck arrived and the same problem occurred, I changed tactics. I was about 4 miles from a friendly shop, VFC Engineering--which I recommend heartily to any readers who have Porsche/ Audi/ VW/ BMW needs. I confirmed the owner was in town, then tried the mobility kit to see if I could get the tire to hold air and limp the 4 miles to VFC.

No dice ...
30369930576_03603da05f_z.jpg

As you can see, still no evidence of a puncture in the tread, but sealant immediately started leaking out past the bead around ~1/3 of the wheel circumference. I began to think the bead had somehow unseated, and there was no way I was going to get it re-seated with the weight of the car on the sidewall. So I called up Zach at VFC, and he recommended North Shore Towing. 15 minutes later, they were on the scene, and 15 minutes after that the car was safely loaded without even the hint of a splitter scrape.

30108797080_1011172ca3_z.jpg

We took the car to VFC, aired up the tire as much as possible (got about 15 psi in it, for about 2 minutes before it all blasted back out around the rim), and rolled the car safely inside. We then jacked it up and tried to inflate the tire again, to no avail. Now I was thinking there was either some failure of the tire (internal delamination or similar?), or some failure of the wheel in the bead seat area. No idea, though, as everything looks normal from the outside. I left the car there and went home.

On Monday, I called Fox Ford Lincoln, where I bought the car, and confirmed they would be okay with me bringing them the wheel/tire combo and not the entire car. They said yes, so after work I had North Shore come out and tow the car to my home. We got it safely tucked in the garage, and I pulled the wheel/ tire and dropped it off at the dealer today. The service advisor wasn't even sure they have the proper machine to mount/dismount on the carbon fiber wheels, so I am waiting to hear what happens next via phone call tomorrow morning--and if I can, I'll go to the dealer to be there when they take a look at it.
29789680474_a3051c36ab_k.jpg

So, that is the status right now ... one Shelby on three wheels and a jack stand (nicely cushioned with wood) in my garage. I'm mostly bummed that I am missing the last of the excellent driving weather before the snow flies here in Chicagoland!

Sorry for the super long intro post. Will keep this thread updated as I learn more!
-tammer

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hey Tammer. I hope you get taken care of properly. Ford Service is here if you need them to help.

Really interested in hearing what the issue is as this is the first time I've ever seen this problem with the fiber wheels.

On edit....that BMW is too cool!

Last edited:

oldbmwfan

Established Member
Thanks, both.

SID297 - no need for soapy water; you can just put a hand over the wheel and feel the air coming out around the rim edge.

Tob - thanks! It is interesting climbing out of a car with 526 HP and climbing into a car with 85 HP. (Or at least that's how much it made back in 1968.)

I'm sure things will work out; I'm just puzzled as to what happened.

-tammer

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Beautiful R! IMO Lightning blue is the best color for the 17MY. Sucks to see the wheel issue but hopefully it gets rectified quickly!

Just curious what is your chassis #?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I wonder if letting the dealer do a proper prep and inspection would have caught and prevented this.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It'll be interesting to see it the defect is in the wheel or the tire. Could be as simple as a cut or gouge in the bead or lip. Hopefully it's not a quality defect that could start popping up for others.

I wonder if letting the dealer do a proper prep and inspection would have caught and prevented this.

I never let them PDI a car I order. I prefer to unwrap my own presents.

blownstang01

Established Member
My money is on that rim being junk, and being the highly touted Carbon wheel I'm bet Ford sends a new one right away as they'll want that one back to see what went wrong. Good Luck, hopefully it's quick so you can get some time in this season.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No, I doubt it.

OP, if your tire got down to 5psi, I bet that's when it lost its seed. I would check for a loose valve stem if you can't find anything in the tire.

If it was leaking along the bead the whole time, you wouldn't of made it 1 mile down the road before you were on the rim.

oldbmwfan

Established Member
They did the mechanical prep, checked pressures and fluids, pulled the plastics (I was there for that part), and installed the splitter. I just asked them not to wash it or install the front plate mount. I drove the car to the gas station with my salesman, who used the dealer card to fill the tank. Fox Ford was excellent to work with.

Re. valve stem - that is a good call, and 13Cobra good point about the bead coming unseated late in the game. We'll see if they can get it to re-seat, which would be good news for the wheel, but I am concerned about sidewall damage regardless so I'm hoping the tire gets replaced. Those who know I-94 through Chicago will know there aren't a lot of safe places to stop; I drove not more than a mile from 20psi down to 5psi.

-tammer

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Re. valve stem - that is a good call, and 13Cobra good point about the bead coming unseated late in the game. We'll see if they can get it to re-seat, which would be good news for the wheel, but I am concerned about sidewall damage regardless so I'm hoping the tire gets replaced. Those who know I-94 through Chicago will know there aren't a lot of safe places to stop; I drove not more than a mile from 20psi down to 5psi.

-tammer

I think the sidewall damage would be minimal to nonexistent.

I'd bet the valve stem is loose if there isn't a foreign object in the tire.

oldbmwfan

Established Member
This morning I spoke with the dealer's service department. They wanted to call Hunter to verify they could use the equipment on hand to dismount the tire from the carbon fiber wheel before they tried. I got a call back a few hours later when the tire was dismounted. I got over to the dealership tonight to look for myself; the skeleton crew in service in parts were super friendly as they had to figure out where everything had been tucked for safekeeping.

The verdict: sliced tire bead, no other visible damage. It's possible the tire was damaged during mounting and then took a short time to fail completely. Given the damaged area sits inside the wheel, which is completely unmarked, I don't think this could have happened from driving. I must say it si a very strange cut.

Apologies for the crappy phone pictures (applies to all photos in this thread so far).

From the back, you can see the cut.
30143659790_101728b62e_k.jpg

Here are a couple shots of it from the front. Damage was on the bead seated against the outside face of the wheel - where the sealant was leaking out in the earlier shots.
30143660990_40b5154fed_k.jpg

30143662370_e34d2f81ab_k.jpg

TONS of sealant in the tire from the mobility kit:
30143661890_ad0ca2b19f_k.jpg

The good news is, the wheel looks completely unharmed, and the techs got the sealant cleaned off the barrel and lips:
29810125824_4eb42cda2a_k.jpg

It seems like replacing the tire pressure monitor is not in the immediate plan. I have read mixed views of whether the sealant kills the sensor. Should I push for pre-emptive replacement?

There are some light scratches on part of the inside wheel lip, and in the barrel (to be expected), but the visible part of the wheel looks untouched:

29810127384_ad59c1eb1a_k.jpg

30143663130_a4eb063edb_z.jpg

The new tire is on order. The only bad news is that it may take time to come in; I am even more glad that the car is safely tucked at home.

-tammer

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Jeesh. Even Peter North would be impressed by the amount of white goop in there. :)

At least this didn't happen at speed, on track. Good to see everything moving forward.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Looks like the tire failure was on a seam from the photo. Sorry to hear about this. I hope it all gets back together soon so you can enjoy that awesome beast!

Imatk

Established Member
Glad you got it figured out, and that you were ok.

I'd ask them for a new sensor for sure.

Awesome BMW BTW :)

Users who are viewing this thread