IRS brace install. Rear diff. mounting bolts.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Changed the oil and trimmed the steering rack sleeves this evening and started the install for the Billetflow IRS diff. cover brace.

How difficult are the rear diff. mounting bolts to remove? (bolts #6 & 7. see link below if you don't know which ones I'm referring to) I'm getting A LOT of resistance trying to get them out. Is this normal? Tried to raise the diff. slightly with a jack, tried it without the jack...still about the same amount of resistance.

How to: Billetflow IRS brace - SVTPerformance

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
Hit them with some WD40 and eat your spinach, use a longer handle on the wrench or a tube/ pipe and slip it over the handle for more leverage. Keep at it they are at 76ft/lbs.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Hey thanks popeye (no offense). lol In all seriousness though I just wanted to know if this was normal before I go flexing my muscles trying to get these out. Just didn't want to ruin the threads.

I'll also add this. When doing this earlier, I broke them loose and started removing them but then I began to get the resistance.

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
No problem man, just crank on them. IIRC the brace comes with 2 new bolt for that area anyway. Just put the lightest support presure on teh diff with the jack so that is takes teh load off of the bolts. Good luck!!!

cursixx

Established Member
I just did an IRS brace install. The bolts are tight and the top bolts are a little hard to get to. Let the rear come all the way down once you get the support bolts out.

The brace itself was very hard to get into place. I used a jack with a short 2x4 and lifted the rear end right before the cover. This was the only way I could get the brace in place.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Finished the install tonight. What a PITA. lol I had one helluva time getting the new rear mount bolts alligned and back in. A little persuasion with the jack and finally got them in. Took a little longer than expected but it should be worth it...cheap insurance in my mind.

Next is phase 2: Bassani catted X, lowering springs, steeda X2 ball joints, NGK TR6's, and hopefully a new tune. :banana:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread