IRS Bushings Removal

Charlington

Established Member
Hello,
During an IRS swap I decided to replace some bushings. This thread is not about Which bushings to replace them with, just removal. 1 LCA bushing I used the Subframe Bushing removal tool because it fit well but even with a 25" breaker bar the 1st one took a while and took some effort. The 2nd LCA bushing I used the SFB removal tool plus a $20 Heat Gun because I couldn't find my acetelyn torch. That was significantly easier but still a hassle.

The other LCA I used a new 20Ton Shop Press from HF that is on sale for $155. Now were talking! Punched each bushing out in about a minute without using any heat! I'm glad I didn't try to save a few bucks and get the 12Ton press because for a few moments I wasn't sure the 20Ton would do it.

Edit: The 1st LCA Bushing came out clean without using Heat but the 2nd LCA Bushing though coming out a little easier with heat became fully lodged in the tool almost as hard as it was in the LCA. Had to use the Shop Press to push it out of the tool and because of the thin edge of the cylinder required attention to prevent it from slipping off the Press Plates.

On to the Subframe Bushings. Used a 3/8" drill bit to drill 4 holes and wobbled the holes out. Then used a 7" jaw C Clamp plus the end cap and cylinder from the SFB removal tool to push out the crush sleeve and then used the complete SFB removal tool to scrape out the remaining rubber. Didn't use any heat and seemed easy on the tools also.

Yes the 25" breaker bar with deep socket was used on all attempts except for when the shop press was used. This was also the hard 03/04 Subframe Bushings not the soft 99-01 Bushings. I have another 01 IRS and will update this post after removing those bushings, maybe with a hole saw.

The Rear Differental Bushing was no trouble at all using the Removal Tool made for the task.

I'll edit this post after removing the UCA Bushings but they are much smaller and should be no problem.
Note about the Shop Press. I don't have a garage so I bolted on some pieces of 2x4 to the bottom of the legs (feet?) to balance on and lashed one side of the Press to a 4x4 corner post of my carport. When I'm finished using the press I'll dismantle it and give it to a friend with a garage. It makes such short work of jobs and saves so much time and energy it is really worth the short time I'll use it to do 2 IRS bushing jobs.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I used a torch on the sub frame bushings. I have that same press. It made short work of my hub swap. I plan on using it for the control arms.

Charlington

Established Member
Hubs! Thanks! I new I was forgetting something. Thread title should have been Shop Press instead, lol. Gotta have a press to change Hubs also.
With a little heat the LCAs would be rediculously easy but not necessary.
I guess Pecans would crack without crushing too. Some of those are tough!

Users who are viewing this thread