IRS diff replacement HELP

BLWN46

Established Member
What is the best way to replace the center section, just remove the diff (from underneath) or drop the irs subframe assy and pull the irs out the top??? If you could tell me why also, thanks! I have a brand new center section and will install my BF bracket before i install it. TC

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
I am in the middle of that job right now, I am pulling the half shafts/rotors/spindles all as one piece and dropping the diff from the bottom. Why did you get a whole new center section, just out of curiosity. I have mine apart for a broken cover, but I am doing gears and bushings and springs while I got everthing apart.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
BLWN46 said:
What is the best way to replace the center section, just remove the diff (from underneath) or drop the irs subframe assy and pull the irs out the top??? If you could tell me why also, thanks! I have a brand new center section and will install my BF bracket before i install it. TC

It will come out either way. Probably easier to work with the IRS out of the car though.

Full drop instructions in my sig link.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
It can be done in the car. If you have access to a lift that makes it easier. Check postban's write up, he has detailed instructions and pics.

BLWN46

Established Member
Thanks guys, i do have an overhead lift, i'm replacing the diff from the TSB on vibration. I already replaced the driveshaft with unnoticeable improvement. Though i'd try the diff. The brand new diff is already out of spec on backlash, which didnt surprise me. It's at .013 should be .08 - .012. I'll tighten it up and install it this weekend, although i doubt this will correct the vibration. TC

Users who are viewing this thread