irs ford diff cover spraying out fluid

Dhallsvt

Established Member
I have the new ford racing diff cover I put 2 quarts of fluid in and a bottle of friction modifier in and when I drive the fluid sprays all over out of the breather fitting. under side of the car mostly passenger rear suspension componets and all over the bumper. I checked the fluid today and put a little more in until it started to come out of the middle hole (filling from middle hole) I let it drip into a pan until it stopped dripping. I put the plug back in took it for a drive and it did the same thing how much fluid is required with the new covers?

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
1.5qts.

It will keep spraying out until its happy with the level. It should take right around 1.5qts. I believe the instructions say to fill the diff until the fluid is 1/4" from the fill hole, but I have never been able to see in there with the rear in the car. I filled mine with 1.5qts, that brought me right to the fill hole and mine blew some out some on a highway pull. I sympathize, lol that fluid gets all over! I thought I may be leaking somewhere else so I jacked up the car yesterday and cleaned everything off. Its only coming out of the breather hose. Good luck!

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Shouldn't be too hard to route the breather hose to a catch can. It might save a mess or worse if it got on a tire. Of course you would need to route the vent side from the catch can so it doesn't cause a problem if the catch can overflows. Best to keep a close eye on its level for a few days or weeks after a fill.

Dhallsvt

Established Member
yeah i zip tied a bottle up there before hand after the first mess to see what would happen and for sure it still came out the breather i believe my other issue was the fluid i was running.

chrp1

Established Member
Ford cover

Same here, fluid blew out the vent.Installed a clear catch can.No more fluid on exhaust or rear bumper and i can check the fluid level blow out in the clear catch can.Problem solved.

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Same exact thing here. The stupid instructions that come with the cover are wrong or Ford put the hole to high.

I ended up leveling the car out and let it seep out the middle hole until it wouldn't drain anymore. Then I took the drain plug and loosened it without removing it and held it in place. I let 1/2 a cup (4oz) of fluid come out the drain hole and then I tightened it back up. It's been perfect sense.

thiltgen99

Established Member
I believe the instructions say to fill the diff until the fluid is 1/4" from the fill hole, but I have never been able to see in there with the rear in the car. I filled mine with 1.5qts, that brought me right to the fill hole and mine blew some out some on a highway pull. I

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I believe the instructions say to fill the diff until the fluid is 1/4" from the fill hole, but I have never been able to see in there with the rear in the car. I filled mine with 1.5qts, that brought me right to the fill hole and mine blew some out some on a highway pull. I

They don't say that.

They say to fill it from the very top hole on the cover until you see fluid come out the middle hole. They call the top hole the "fill hole" and the middle hole the "level hole".

Edit:

Straight from the instructions:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-4033-G3.pdf

STEP 9: With axle housing installed, remove fill level plug (below RH side load bolt), fill rear axle with
recommended lube from the upper hole in the girdle until fluid runs out of the fill level hole. Re-install
plugs. Torque to 25 ft./lbs.

This is wrong and will result in what we all are experiencing. I would fill to 1/4" below the level hole.

Last edited:

Dhallsvt

Established Member
Yeah and its getting real annoying wiping gear lube off the back of the car I am getting rather sick of it lol but at least im not the only one

TRBO VNM

Here is an idea....

Take a zip tie and bend the end so it makes a 90 degree turn. Put that in the level hole and let it rest on the bottom part of the hole and then pull it out and check where the fluid is on the zip tie. I do this on diff's, trans, etc. Anything that you can't see inside the hole to check the level.

That's another mechanics trade secret for a $100 tool. Just like using a 2x4 to drive on so you can get the floor jack under the car. :D

TRBO VNM

:lol: just trying to help. Sometimes simple things go a long way and you just never think about it sometimes.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Here is an idea....

Take a zip tie and bend the end so it makes a 90 degree turn. Put that in the level hole and let it rest on the bottom part of the hole and then pull it out and check where the fluid is on the zip tie. I do this on diff's, trans, etc. Anything that you can't see inside the hole to check the level.

That's another mechanics trade secret for a $100 tool. Just like using a 2x4 to drive on so you can get the floor jack under the car. :D
Old school! :lol:
I love it. :beer:

Dhallsvt

Established Member
Here is an idea....

Hey thanks I will give that a shot and see what I find lol. What is the correct amount with the new cover? I have heard 1.5

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread fellas. I wasn't aware that those knuckleheads at Ford Racing did not provide proper instructions for the refilling of the case with the Ford Racing cover.

Franco

Established Member
Just bought my car back for this issue. Too bad I didn't read this before. Just gonna deal with it until it gets to the correct level

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Had this happen to me I jacked the car up level and opened the fill let it drain right below the fill hole fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread