IRS gurus

Outonyou

Established Member
Ive recently purchased a 99 cobra. When I bought the car I was told that it had an 03-04 irs. Short of pulling an axle and doing a spline count is there any way to verify that it is in fact a 03-04? Im doing a solid axle swap in the car but I'd like to know the value of this rear. It has poly bushings, rear brace, and adjustable toe links and sway bar ends. Thanks for your help

Outonyou

Established Member
I crawled under the car and it does have the front brace attached to the differential mounts that you mention. So with that being said I'm going to assume that he did upgrade the rear irs like he said. What should something like this bring? Oh and thank you for the link..

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Check the half shafts. IIRC the 99/01 half shafts neck down by the outer CV joint. The 03/04 don't. And the inner CV joint on the 03/04 is a lot beefier. Google up pics and you'll see what I mean. Going by the pinion brace isn't 100%. That was one of the first mods I did to mine. The rest was still from 01 until a couple months ago.

Outonyou

Established Member
Ill have to check the axle shafts in the morning when I go to the shop to finish up the body work in the engine bay. I remember thinking to myself earlier when the car was on the lift, "damn these axle shafts are fat". I don't remember if the necked down or not.. Thanks for the tip

Check the half shafts. IIRC the 99/01 half shafts neck down by the outer CV joint. The 03/04 don't. And the inner CV joint on the 03/04 is a lot beefier. Google up pics and you'll see what I mean. Going by the pinion brace isn't 100%. That was one of the first mods I did to mine. The rest was still from 01 until a couple months ago.

Martel

Established Member
01 cv shaft

DSC00817.JPG

03-04 cv shaft
$_35.JPG

Last edited:

Outonyou

Established Member
Thank you all that replied. With your help I was able to confirm that it is in fact a 03-04 irs that was installed in my 99.

Users who are viewing this thread