IRS guys with aftermarket gears, how much was the install?

Power Trip

Established Member
Hey guys,

I was dead set on swapping to a solid axle this winter, but im starting to look into just keeping the IRS since its already decently beefed up by the previous owner. I would go to a 3.90 gear, no doubt on that.

Just curious how much you guys with aftermarket gears in your IRS got charged for the install? Sure i could call the local speed shop and ask, but i like starting threads sometimes :D

Thanks.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
If you can get the diff out and take it to a shop it should be only about $100 for the labor.

I have heard as high as $600 on here for a full service shop.

I have had a terrible experience with 3.90 gears setup wrong, Motives. I am going 4.10 this weekend.

Go the the red pill in my *MODLIST for step-by-step IRS drop instructions if you want to do it yourself.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I paid ~$150 and that was with taking the guy the diff. That is the cheapest way to do it.

Power Trip

Established Member
postban said:
If you can get the diff out and take it to a shop it should be only about $100 for the labor.

I have heard as high as $600 on here for a full service shop.

I have had a terrible experience with 3.90 gears setup wrong, Motives. I am going 4.10 this weekend.

Go the the red pill in my *MODLIST for step-by-step IRS drop instructions if you want to do it yourself.

Cool thanks for the info man. Yea i could just drop the diff myself, no biggie.

I had pro5.0 3.90 gears in my old 95 and had no issues with that... I really loved that gear choice.

Just swapping the gears seems the cheapest route for me to go, especially if it only costs 100-150 to set up the gears with the irs dropped, versus getting setup with a complete solid rear end.

03silverdrop

Established Member
I paid 340.00 for the full removal and installation of the center differential. For all of you guys thinking of going 3.90.....don't waste your money. I did the 4.10's and was very nervous and thought they may just be to much. Boy was I ever wrong!!!! These gears should have come in the car stock. The way they put the torque to the ground is just rediculous and normal driving in the city and on the highway is not effected at all. Trust me!!!!! Go with the 4.10's as they are not as drastic as everyone may think. With 550 rwtq and with the drag radials I can floor it in first gear and get minimal spin and in 2nd wheel spin is non existant. You will not be sorry I gaurantee it. :beer:

Last edited:

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
I wanted to get another rear for my TBird that uses the same rear center section as the Cobra. I wanted 4.30 gears and a Detroit Locker for it. I provided the Locker, and had the rest provided by the guy building it. He got me a aluminum housing, new 4.30 gears from Ford, new bearings, and seals. Installed it all with the Detroit Locker and shipped it to me from Michigan to Tennessee for $530. What a deal!

Here is is as received.

newrear.jpg

Detroit Lockers for 8.8 rears made after July 2004 have the side gears made to work with both normal C clips, and IRS half shaft C clips.

I have about 200 miles on it, and will drain and refill it next week and install the Billetflow brace. Here are some other pictures of the new rear

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/rear.htm

This is the same as the 99 Cobra with 28 spline. I should of switched to 31 and had the axles made for that. Oh well, there is always next year.

Just finishing installing a Lentech Strip Terminator trans, and should be back on the road Saturday.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
03silverdrop said:
I paid 340.00 for the full removal and installation of the center differential. For all of you guys thinking of going 3.90.....don't waste your money. I did the 4.10's and was very nervous and thought they may just be to much. Boy was I ever wrong!!!! These gears should have come in the car stock. The way they put the torque to the ground is just rediculous and normal driving in the city and on the highway is not effected at all. Trust me!!!!! Go with the 4.10's as they are not as drastic as everyone may think. With 550 rwtq and with the drag radials I can floor it in first gear and get minimal spin and in 2nd wheel spin is non existant. You will not be sorry I gaurantee it. :beer:
+1 :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread